Getting key from win7 PCs when they hit the store

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jkh334, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Collo

Collo MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    #41 Collo, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
    Keys on stickers are retail, they only work on a single machine.

OEM master keys are great, because the only way M$ can blacklist them is by blacklisting all the other people who legitimately use the same key - and they won't dare do that so we're safe ;D

2. TR2N

TR2N MDL Member

Feb 28, 2008
    When i understand it right, we can grab the keys (not from sticker! - Retail!) with "Keyfinder" or "SLIC DumpToolkit.

The key, that is "grabbed" by this tools from a preinstalled machine, e.g. HP, should be the right one, right?

I am working in IT services and will grab some, we are selling HP ;):rolleyes::D

3. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    As a former Best Buy Loss Prevention Representative who for some unknown reason decided to give two s**ts about his job, I'd like to entertain you with a short story..

One day while working, I noticed someone in the DVD isles was fidgeting with a DVD, would put it back, walk around a little then come back to the same DVD and repeat the process over and over.
    He was trying, and succeeding in slicing open the shrink wrap with his thumbnail to allow him to open the case and slide the DVD out.
    A quick call up to the media department put a securely warped copy of the DVD into my hands, after which I proceeded to walk up to the 'gentleman' and said "Excuse me sir, it would seem the DVD you have might possibly be damaged. Here's a sealed copy of the movie, and the registers are right up there" with a point in the direction of the registers.
    He quickly walked away, dropped the DVD in with the CDs and exited the store as fast as he could.

Shortly after, I was called in to the store office the General Manager and told I was suspended for 2 days and not to ever confront someone.

If employees will be punished for preventing someone from stealing a physical item, do you think they'll be allowed to stop you from stealing non-physical?
    Best Buy 'Loss Prevention' is a joke and a half.

As for the Computer sales people themselves... Best Buy is non-commission sales, yet every sale is tracked for 'attachment' -- accessories like cables, PSP/PRP (Product Service/Replacement Plans), and anything else they can throw into your cart during a sale.
    What this means is, all of the pressure of commissioned sales, but none of the monetary benefit. These people are pretty much the bottom of the sales barrel.

4. DKnight2066

DKnight2066 MDL Junior Member

Jul 19, 2009
    #44 DKnight2066, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
    Not directly related, but along the same lines:

A little over a year ago, I was an employee of Gamestop.

The Official theft policy of Gamestop is that under no circumstances is an employee, other than the Manager or Assistant Manager, to question or confront someone who is visibly in the process of stealing something.
    We are to observe them, and are not allowed to lose eye contact with their person, while finding some discreet way to "signal" the Manager that something is up.

The short version is: We watch, and unless the Manager is magically not busy, which never happens, the person gets away with it. Even if I see someone hide an item on their person, then tell my manager, the customer is allowed to say "I put that back", and get away with it. UNLESS I was able to maintain eye contact 100% of the time and someone else can verify that, we can get sued for harassment.

With all that red tape, I just ignored whatever people were doing. If I had no authority to do anything, and with people being increasingly violent these days, I didn't want my epitaph to read:

"Here lies DKnight. He gave his life for Pokemon." :cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Haven't you seen the little sign above your desk?
    "If someone is trying to murder you, just die - otherwise he could sue you for discrimination" :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    pokemans is srs bisnes!!

7. EclipseSin

EclipseSin MDL Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Umbabaumlataushalacubalauntaba! *casts raise on DKnight*

Fight my minion of darkness! Rise! Kill all the pokemans!

Anyways, I'll be hopefully running around with a pen drive in oct/nov. Funny though, that one slic tool thing doesnt work for me or my bro. 1.05 crashes on dump, and 1.06.08 crashes instantly lol.

8. DKnight2066

DKnight2066 MDL Junior Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Murder was also in the air if you were foolish enough to blurt out "I'm sorry, we have no Nintendo WIIs in stock right now."

If Germany fought World War 2 with angry "WII Hunting" mothers, we would all be speaking German, right-fricking-now...

--DKnight

9. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    Right, that's it. Would be nice to get oemslp-keys from different Win7 versions.

10. tengtengvn

tengtengvn MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Unless you live in North Korea, I don't think something like that would happen here in the US.

11. Collo

Collo MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    I don't really see who would want any other version than Ultimate, since Ultimate has more features than any other version, and if you don't want something you can disable it anyway ;/

12. jkh334

jkh334 MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Exactly, Its not like you are walking out with a PC or windows dvd (shoplifting)-you are just taking down some information and if you use bit-locker, there's no way they can know what you took. They wouldn't even think about you getting the key-nor would they probably care if ya did-though they might look at ya strange if you go around looking/taking pics of the bottom of laptops. I dont see how you could get arrested for this as you are not walking out with nothing physical.

13. EclipseSin

EclipseSin MDL Member

Feb 29, 2008
    The easiest thing to get out of, really, it is.

Worker: "What are you doing?"

You: "Testing a portable software I use often. I'm thinking of buying this Laptop/Desktop. I wanted to see how well it ran or if it was compatable."

Worker: "Oh-ho! This one here blah blah blah blah blah blah"

14. tengtengvn

tengtengvn MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    They don't really care what you do on those demo computers. You can check it out as long as you want and I'm sure there will be a lot of people there when 7 come out.
    If you work for major retailers, you know that you are risking your job when trying to make something serious. Thats why most employees don't.

15. jkh334

jkh334 MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Thats a good idea too. Another poster mentioned actually buying the pc and then taking it back-that would work too at wal-mart anyway. I once messed up my windows XP on an old PC with a cd rom only (no burner). I downloaded a pirated xp and went to wallyworld and picked up a cd burner for like 85 bucks and installed it, burnt the xp cd as well as a few musical cd while i was at it. And took the cd burner back with no problems.

16. 4D696B65

4D696B65 MDL Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Win7 computers will not be on shelves before Oct 22. No need to be a secret agent till then. OEM keys will be leaked a week or two before that by OEM employees.

17. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    Bottom line, once windows 7 hits the stores there will be OEM keys and certs that will leak.If the pen/usb trick does not work all else fails you buy the pc, return it a day or 2 later. M$ won't dare blacklist thousands of legit users over the next leak. They would have to deal with a huge backlash and M$ does not want to have to deal with that.

18. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Well its actually cool to use a demo computer in the shop and get the key from it :D. I think i will do that too, i take a SD card with me with the tool. Extract the bin + cert and the key....lmao :cool:

19. 4D696B65

4D696B65 MDL Member

Jun 28, 2009
    When do you plan on doing that? Before its on the shelf?

20. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    22 october or later my friend, there are no laptops/pc's sold yet with 7 on it.