Getting the install.esd file not encrypted by Windows Update

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by balubeto, Jan 19, 2016.

1. balubeto

balubeto MDL Addicted

Dec 22, 2009
    #1 balubeto, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    Hi

I have a computer with Windows 10 v1511 Enterprise 64 bit.

I would like to download the new build 11xxx on the first computer through Windows Update and I would stop its automatic installation in order that I can get the <Primary_partition_letter>:\$Windows.~BT\sources\install.esd file not encrypted.

So, how do I do this?

Thanks

Bye

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    The install.esd file which is in that folder is NOT encrypted. Just copy it to another folder, and convert to iso using one of the tools.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    I wonder, why it is the esd, if not encrypted? It is the mystery.
    Of course, I said a bit wrong, it's encrypted mystery.

4. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
  5. balubeto

balubeto MDL Addicted

Dec 22, 2009
    When Windows 10 v1511 downloads a new build 11xxx from Windows Update, how can I be sure that its installation does not start automatically ever?

When I moved the <Primary_partition_letter>:\$Windows.~BT\sources\install.esd file, how do I undo this installation by eliminating all its files?

Thanks

Bye

6. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    What I do is copy the install.esd file to the decrypter/iso converter folder, and start the conversion to iso. Meanwhile the Windows update is doing its thing, but that takes a while. Once the iso is created, I move it to my OS ISOs folder on another drive, then I restart my computer. Once it has booted, I mount the iso, and run setup. When Windows has finished upgrading, and I have made sure everything works properly, I run the disk cleanup tool as admin and remove all.

7. balubeto

balubeto MDL Addicted

Dec 22, 2009
    In practice, when I moved the file install.esd, I would not continue with the installation of the build 11xxx but I would undo it deleting all its files.

Thanks

Bye

8. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    The reason why it is encrypted is possibly for security purposes. Microsoft doesn't want the file doctored in any form.

9. balubeto

balubeto MDL Addicted

Dec 22, 2009
    #13 balubeto, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    So to avoid the automatic installation of a new build 14xxx still get the <Primary_partition_letter>:\$Windows.~BT\sources\install.esd unencrypted file, it is possible to close the settings window when the Restart button is displayed, copy the above file and run the following commands from the Command Prompt (run as Administrator):

Code:
    takeown /F "<BT/WS_Directory_path>" /A /R /D S /SKIPSL >nul 2>&1
    icacls "<BT/WS_Directory_path>" /reset
    icacls "<BT/WS_Directory_path>" /grant:r Administrators:(OI)(CI)F /inheritance:e /Q /C /T /L >nul 2>&1
    rd /S /Q "<BT/WS_Directory_path>" >nul 2>&1

without that Windows prevents the elimination of the directories?

Does anyone have any other idea to prevent the automatic installation of the build 14xxx and delete the BT/WS_Directory_path directories created by Windows to install the new build?

Thanks

Bye

10. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #14 xinso, Jan 29, 2016
    To terminate the download/install procees, stop Background Intelligent Transfer Service. (NOT Windows Update - wuauserv service)
    Code:
    net stop BITS

11. balubeto

balubeto MDL Addicted

Dec 22, 2009
    #15 balubeto, Jan 29, 2016
    (OP)
    It is possible to prevent that, whenever Windows download a new build, it will never install it automatically?

Thanks

Bye