Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9 BIOS flash problem

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by kisea, Dec 25, 2007.

1. kisea

kisea MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2007
    I was reinstalling windows xp last night and got everything set up but I was still having a small issue with my keyboard. So I used the @BIOS update utility provided by Gigabyte (which seems to have been a huge mistake). I was trying to flash from version F2 to version F8 and the utility would get to 87% then have a write error.

I prepared a floppy (which I should have used in the first place) after seeing the write error with the bios and flash utility. I rebooted and it would go through POST find but when it got to the nVidia RAID bios it would stall. I could not get into my bios.

I removed my CMOS battery for about 10 minutes and then put it back in and started my computer. It allowed me to get into bios but after exiting out it would still hang at the raid bios. Again I removed the battery to reset the CMOS and started the computer. After getting into the bios I tried to enter the Dual Bios/Q-Flash part of the bios. It will pull up the confirmation dialog asking if I am sure if I want to enter Dual Bios/Q-Flash but hitting enter does nothing. I tried to connect a PS2 keyboard and the same thing happens. It is supposed to enter a separate screen but it just sits there with the read light on my floppy drive on.

Is my MB dead or can it be resurrected? I cannot remove the BIOS chips because they are soldered to the motherboard. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jroc

jroc MDL Member

Aug 28, 2007
  3. jroc

jroc MDL Member

Aug 28, 2007
    #3 jroc, Dec 27, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
    looks like i finally got to the page...you can download that F8 Bio in that self-extracting file...it will have the following:

FLASH892.EXE (Flash Utility)
    K8NU-9.F8 (Bio's)

all you then need is to grab that driverless boot floppy and make the disc..add these two files to it..boot into it...run flash892.exe and load the bios and flash.....should fix it

PS...you might have to set the 'floppy' to boot first in the bios..if you can...the reason its hanging up is because its messed up with booting into that harddrive for some reason...make you boot order:

Floppy
    CDROM
    HARDDRIVE