GIGABYTE motherboards modded bios activation problem - dual bios

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by swfsnapper, Jul 20, 2010.

1. woebetide

woebetide MDL Member

May 28, 2007
    #21 woebetide, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
    I've done it, check the Q-flash manual! page 8

2. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    you cannot do it with Q Flash , it only a small (very small) dos based program embedded in the motherboard on a small rom chip . the instructions for using it are printed in every gigabyte manual ,I know ,cos I have almost 30 of them . the instructions ,would barely occupy 3 small pages .
    I believe what you have is @bios ,it has a guide thats about 11 or 12 pages long .however even this utility is not capable of flashing your backup bios directly ,the only working method I know of is the one I listed .
    @bios is not a good program and most system builders would never use it .
    so unless Gigabyte have launched a new bios flashing utility in the last few days ,I fear your mistaken , I am open minded though and would dearly like to see the page 8 of your manual.
    a most sincere appology will be offered if you prove me wrong .

3. woebetide

woebetide MDL Member

May 28, 2007
  4. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    I apologise ,you were obviousely not mistaken ,however ,that is an old version of Qflash , that definately wont worrk on the newer type of motherboard , note the bios file sizes 256k, gigabyte board have been using 512k bios for a couple of years now and more recently 1024k files .
    As Qflash comes as "built in" that version wont exist in newer boards . shame ,as I was really hoping for an easier way to force the backup bios to update.

5. woebetide

woebetide MDL Member

May 28, 2007
    Yes, it was an old MoBo GA_M59sli-s5.
    Didn't know they changed the flash util:rolleyes:

6. johnp12345

johnp12345 MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2010
    I have 2 gigabyte dual bios machines an X58 + HM55, they both (varies between 1-3 months) revert back to the f1 bios, its a simple fix to re-flash.

I am 90% sure it's not power related as in theory both should go at the same time (1 is on 24x7 as mediacentre, other is main game/browsing machine that is on most evenings/weekends), one was running a non slic bios for ~6months without a single revert to backup bios.

I Just wonder if there is some obscure hash or checksum the dual bios code checks for that does not get updated to pass the dual bios test during SLIC modification? Any thoughts?

As a side note please,please do NOT use @bios, tried my first slic flash using that hunk of junk and thankfully the motherboard lived to regret it.. involved shorting a screwdriver across 2 pins to get it to kick over to the backup bios and a hairy 2-3 hours!!

7. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    the bios are designed to revert to backup spec in the event of either corruption or a catastrophic bios failure ,but can (but not allways) also triggered by a power failure .
    A while ago I had a problem flashing a motherboard ,used the wrong flash routine (stupid me) and the board became unbootable ,could not get into bios to reflash ,and the backup bios did not kick in .
    to force the back up to kick in ,simply start up the machine normally , then while the machine is running ,pull the mains plug out , then recconect while at the same time holding the start button in .wait a short while , a minute or so ,and shut down on the start button ,now restart normally and it should have copied the backup settings back to the main bios . this works in most cases as it did for me .
    also ,many of the newer GB board have a setting to copy your bios to hard drive . but this wont stop it reverting back to backup bios in the event of problem ,all this will do is allow you to retreve and reflash from the hard drive back up location . after the event.

also as I said in an earlier post ,you can force the your main bios "after modding them" to copy over to your backup bios .
    but allways make sure your backup bios is working perfectly first. and it only works with the old type ps2 keyboard .