Global Warming: Your opinion ....

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by R29k, Jun 14, 2011.

?

Is Global Warming man made or a natural cycle ?

1. Yes, it is man made

2. Undecided

3. No, I think there is another reason for it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BobSheep

BobSheep MDL Guru

Apr 19, 2010
    #22 BobSheep, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
    @R29k, I agree, the world is warming since the last little ice age, no doubt about that. What I dislike is someone like Al Gore buying into carbon trading companies and similar, creating an advert called "An Inconvenient Truth", getting people first to pay to watch it and then take the profits from something to prevent what is not proved which is Manmade Global Warming.

2. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Well not everyone is buying into it. There are loads of scientists who think Gore is talking crap. However most scientists require funding for their research and that's where the issue comes up. I'll put a quote from StayBoogy's signature that defines the problem :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    It's never too late, so pick up your weapons 'n fight :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. According to my information, it is too late and I do not fight when I realize that I can not win.

Only when the last tree is felled, the last river poisoned, the last fish is caught, people will find that you can not eat money.

5. half Man Half Biscuit

half Man Half Biscuit MDL Addicted

Jun 1, 2011
    [​IMG]

Main article: Temperature record
    Two millennia of mean surface temperatures according to different reconstructions, each smoothed on a decadal scale, with the instrumemtal temperature record overlaid in black.

Evidence for warming of the climate system includes observed increases in global average air and ocean temperatures, widespread melting of snow and ice, and rising global average sea level.[15][16][17][18] The most common measure of global warming is the trend in globally averaged temperature near the Earth's surface. Expressed as a linear trend, this temperature rose by 0.74 ± 0.18 °C over the period 1906–2005. The rate of warming over the last half of that period was almost double that for the period as a whole (0.13 ± 0.03 °C per decade, versus 0.07 °C ± 0.02 °C per decade). The urban heat island effect is estimated to account for about 0.002 °C of warming per decade since 1900.[19] Temperatures in the lower troposphere have increased between 0.13 and 0.22 °C (0.22 and 0.4 °F) per decade since 1979, according to satellite temperature measurements. Temperature is believed to have been relatively stable over the one or two thousand years before 1850, with regionally varying fluctuations such as the Medieval Warm Period and the Little Ice Age.[20]

Recent estimates by NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) and the National Climatic Data Center show that 2005 and 2010 tied for the planet's warmest year since reliable, widespread instrumental measurements became available in the late 19th century, exceeding 1998 by a few hundredths of a degree.[21][22][23] Current estimates by the Climatic Research Unit (CRU) show 2005 as the second warmest year, behind 1998 with 2003 and 2010 tied for third warmest year, however, “the error estimate for individual years … is at least ten times larger than the differences between these three years.”[24] The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) statement on the status of the global climate in 2010 explains that, “The 2010 nominal value of +0.53°C ranks just ahead of those of 2005 (+0.52°C) and 1998 (+0.51°C), although the differences between the three years are not statistically significant…”[25]

Temperatures in 1998 were unusually warm because the strongest El Niño in the past century occurred during that year.[26] Global temperature is subject to short-term fluctuations that overlay long term trends and can temporarily mask them. The relative stability in temperature from 2002 to 2009 is consistent with such an episode.[27][28]

Temperature changes vary over the globe. Since 1979, land temperatures have increased about twice as fast as ocean temperatures (0.25 °C per decade against 0.13 °C per decade).[29] Ocean temperatures increase more slowly than land temperatures because of the larger effective heat capacity of the oceans and because the ocean loses more heat by evaporation.[30] The Northern Hemisphere warms faster than the Southern Hemisphere because it has more land and because it has extensive areas of seasonal snow and sea-ice cover subject to ice-albedo feedback. Although more greenhouse gases are emitted in the Northern than Southern Hemisphere this does not contribute to the difference in warming because the major greenhouse gases persist long enough to mix between hemispheres.[31]

The thermal inertia of the oceans and slow responses of other indirect effects mean that climate can take centuries or longer to adjust to changes in forcing. Climate commitment studies indicate that even if greenhouse gases were stabilized at 2000 levels, a further warming of about 0.5 °C (0.9 °F) would still occur.[32]

[​IMG]

6. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    We will run out of most resources before that, don't worry about trees. Just wait when the Earth has a 50 billion population and food shortages and the riots start. A hungry man is an angry man. The Earth will be here going along merrily, humans can't end the Earth but humans can end themselves.

7. BobSheep

BobSheep MDL Guru

Apr 19, 2010
  8. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  9. BobSheep

BobSheep MDL Guru

Apr 19, 2010
    I read that and weather is not climate either.

10. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    I know, if you look up old NASA release they say some funny things. :D

11. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    People should also remember short term variations are not indicators of long term trends, and that there are more variations than just the SOI!

12. BobSheep

BobSheep MDL Guru

Apr 19, 2010
    #34 BobSheep, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
    It's whatever gets the funding for that year imho.

TSI forcings

13. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    That's Dr. Nir Shaviv from the last link I posted it seems. :p

14. Bob, this leading Earth creature are simply not very intelligent,
    which intelligent life form would be so many atom-steam-engines build
    on his one and only planet, see Chernobyl, Fukushima, etc.

We will get what we deserve, in the climate and everything. ;)

This goes in the pants anyway, but nice talking with you to have. :D

15. BobSheep

BobSheep MDL Guru

Apr 19, 2010
    Great minds think alike. I'm off now for some sleep. It was a fun night I think, thanks for the thread R29k.
    Same to you Song Jiang.

16. BobSheep

BobSheep MDL Guru

Apr 19, 2010
    It gets even worse for the IPCC. Lead author of IPCC WG3 Chapter 10 is a Greenpeace employee and has assessed his own work for eligibility to be included in this report.

The details

17. BobSheep

BobSheep MDL Guru

Apr 19, 2010
    At last something that looks like fact. I will read this to find the detail.