Global Warming: Your opinion ....

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by R29k, Jun 14, 2011.

?

Is Global Warming man made or a natural cycle ?

1. Yes, it is man made

2. Undecided

3. No, I think there is another reason for it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

Was it something I said????

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #1202 Joe C, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
    I'm all for space exploitation!
    As soon as we learn how to overcome light speed, there will be no end in it

our Martian buddies are in the same dilemma that we are in also...
    https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming.html
    Science needs to put an end to solar system warming now!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #1203 Mr.X, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
    The very same thought aliens had thousands of years ago. Now they are embarked in space exploitation. It's just a matter of time they find us in our tiny blue pale dot. Erm, did someone say exploitation? :fear:
    :tooth:

4. Erik B

Erik B MDL Member

Oct 10, 2008
    Perplexed as usual over some people actually think this is an issue. The best answer I've seen is:
    [​IMG]
    https://satwcomic.com/everything-is-possible-when-you-don-t-believe

I think a more relevant question would be about trust in public institutions and science:
    Do you believe in science?
    Do you trust public formal non-profit institutions?

If not, you really do believe anything is possible and everything you hear is either a lie or the truth, there's no way to tell other than to lean on your current gut feeling. Or agreeing with what your friends are saying as they are obviously way more trustworthy than anyone else in any case. Trump in a nutshell.

5. fabre gastro

fabre gastro MDL Junior Member

May 29, 2018
    it wasn't me. i didn't do it.

6. fabre gastro

fabre gastro MDL Junior Member

May 29, 2018
    sexploitation :eek:

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Are you looking forward to being molested by an alien?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  9. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    the earth is 4.5 billion years old ,man has been on it 200.000 years , but in the last few hundred man knows every reason for the climate and we are causing it ? we have gone thru 5 ice ages supposedly we are at the end of one now because the ice is still receding ! I can believe we pollute the air in populated areas and we create unnecessary trash but changing the climate not so much !

10. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Sure, we eradicate forests, erase everything that lived in them, including the germs in the soil, a veritable ecocide, caused by our invention of "agriculture" and we have nothing to do with that, oh geniuses?!? And that is just to begin with...

11. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    I worked for the st regis paper co as a logger for more then 10 years when we logged a hill side with in two years it was replanted , there were trees called second growth timber ready to be harvested after growing for so many years when I left , also the animals increased in logged areas berries grew new plant life immerged because the sun got to the surface which it rarely got to in old growth timber now this was in Washington state not south America ! I believe Oregon logs the same way as Washington ! I also know that an increase in population requires more homes being built so we clear more land to build houses, so its ether no sex or build more homes , also the forestry trades old growth land for logging for replanted forest land so it is being recycled . yes there are some logging outfits that just wipe a hill side out ive seen it my self but the larger outfits invest in the future and replant !

12. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @gorski: And just how do you propose to create farm land to feed the people? Or warm domiciles where people can live in basic comfort?

As zen45 pointed out, forestry management is an important tool used to preserve species and work with the eco-system, so that we can have raw materials to build homes and other products.

Also, I'd like to point out that certain types of trees (Conifers) require burning to reproduce. As the pine tars burn, they soften up, releasing the seeds or making them open up.
    The process produces lots of CO2 as well as VOCs and other things.

One must take care to avoid confusing natures' affairs with the folly of humans. ;)

We're to blame for a lot of evil things, but not so much on this one. :)

13. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Oh, MJ... Really?!? You know I have a lot of time for you - but this is just... ahem... Sorry, I am not confusing anything here - it seems to me you are. We, Humans, long ago, were the ones who committed ecocide. OK? And how on Earth are you charging me with wanting to stop natural processes, whereby when natural fires occur a tree releases its seeds etc.?!? Where on Earth did you see me advocating interfering with that?

On the other hand, how on Earth did you use that to justify our wholesale ecocide? I mean, when we erased huge amounts of forests from the face of the Earth in order to start our bright idea of agriculture on a humongous scale - there was nothing left, no seeds of the trees we didn't see fit for our purposes were left to prosper. Do you get that? If not - I am sorry but you are really confused on this issue...

To recap: when we - Humans, long ago - went into agriculture, we committed ecocide on a planetary scale, erasing many species in the process and we did it all the way, to the level of soil microbes. A complete eradication of whole ecosystems. Do you understand now? We did not have to do it. We chose to do it. And there was no thinking allowed in the process. Period.

And it wasn't just the Middle Eastern Humans/Europeans/Asians who were seriously deadly. It was all the way around the globe, whereby "our esteemed ancestors" would drive a species to extinction.... So, all of those "romantic" ideas of "living in perfect harmony with their environment" is nothing but a myth. We are by definition potentially deadly on a global scale.

And we need to deal with that!!! Or else...

14. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    That's what many people are saying about "global warming" or "Climate Change" or whatever you want to call it...

It's a myth designed to fleece the people and charge more money for fuel and food.
    There have been enough documentaries and interviews with climate scientists to prove that fact.

It's all sensationalism designed to enable the governments to levy more taxes and for growers to hike their prices.

But if you feel the need to preach and rant to anybody who has an opposing viewpoint,
    either because of facts and / or past experiences, well that's your choice.

We lost strains of crops because of blights and fungi. These things are there regardless of global warming.

Look at bananas and coffee. Bananas were all but extinct because of a blight that couldn't be controlled.

We live in a different time. And I'm not going to punish myself because my ancestors were ignorant. Because farmers these days
    have technology available to them which assists them in the growing of food.

15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Ah, I see: see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil and - evil does not exist?

Kool... In a seriously hot manner, when sea levels are rising...

Growing crops where, then?

And I am not preaching.

Rant is all yours...

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #1216 Joe C, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Mars is also showing signs of global warming too, so if our planet does get hotter, it would most likely be on a galactic scale of our solar system more than man made.
    If you look at what a volcano can produce, which is 1000's of times more than humans can possibly do, and there are always a multitude of volcano's on the place we call Earth, I think the planet can handle what ever we (humans) put out

17. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    More than man made is possible.

However, grownups tend to take responsibility...

Like this:

"Antarctica is melting three times faster than it was just 10 years ago. Climate change is real, very real — and it is devastating our planet. The United States must lead the world in transforming our energy system by moving aggressively to energy efficiency and sustainable energy. via The Years Project..."

18. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #1218 Joe C, Jul 9, 2018
    Not the first time the polar caps melted, just part of this planets geological system/solar system...Do not swallow the Kool-Aid from those that wish to fleece your pockets
    https://wattsupwiththat.com/2008/03...-getting-warm-seals-vanish-and-icebergs-melt/

I do not disagree that we should be responsible and good stewards of this little blue ball in space. So we can live in a cleaner place for everybody's benefit.

19. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Nah, this time it's mostly us, as we have done soooo many bad things, it's undeniable...

But if you wanna swallow the slimy "industry's science" - who's to stop you?!?

20. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #1220 Joe C, Jul 9, 2018
    No, not any "industry science" at all.
    Just weather facts that the polar cap did melt in 1922 and who knows how many times before then?

Most of the slimy "science" in this entire thread, comes from yourself