God damn 0x0000007B

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sookoop, Apr 29, 2022.

1. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #21 George King, May 1, 2022
    Last edited: May 1, 2022
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sookoop

sookoop MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2015
    Actually it was a false positive, I'm still getting 7B after removing these "mismatching" drivers (I don't think they were, it was LAN drivers ported to W7 found on Win-Raid forum), also I tried to use MSI Smart Tool to add USB3 drivers into the clean ISO (with modifying INF file before to add my device id) and still stuck at language selection without any USB port working. :(

3. Netbanshee

Netbanshee MDL Junior Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Hi, only one question, Why Win7 on such a new machine? I have Win7 running on a dinosaur core2 and its screaming fast after uping to a SSD. So reiterate Why?

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
  5. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    @kebabstorm We need to run all code and do not skip crucial parts. Exactly we know where is problem and skip displaying BSOD is great solution in this case. In near future there will be much better 5.1 / 5.2 ACPI than 6.x :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. sookoop

sookoop MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2015
    @kebabstorm I can confirm your ACPI.sys fix is working too, I just tried and got no freeze at setup screen!

7. kebabstorm

kebabstorm MDL Junior Member

Aug 3, 2016
    @sookoop Yes they are the same patch, all credits for it go to @George King. I used his method and added a signature so it can work without disabling driver signature enforcement.

@George King i'm looking forward to developments in the NT6 space ! I actualy just fired up a XP VM for the first time in years for a visual studio 6 portable project I'm currently working on, and had forgot how great it is. Only 200MB ram usage on SP3 out-of-the-box without even optimizing or stripping anything and I/O + CPU use is negligible ! Even a stripped Win7 is much more resource-hungry, so WinXP could be a better option for running NT-based server stuff in a VM (or multiple VM's, where every bit of resource usage stacks up).

Amazing work with the patches btw, I have some debugging and reverse-engineering experience but RE'ing kernelmode stuff before the OS is even booted is not something I would know how to even begin to do. You need to do it through a hypervisor? Even then, how can you emulate the proper hardware to debug such problems, which only appear on specific hardware? That's some pro-level stuff right there