Going x64 this weekend

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by genuine555, Nov 5, 2009.

1. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    I still see 128x far in reanch n useless. With x64 ability n capability for higher ram there is no Need for me. but I guess it will be fun to have

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Hey, look at me bro. x64 been around a long time now, and I'm just now got the urge to use it. So I didn't mean that I can't wait to have x128, I'm just now beginning to see the use for x64, so x128 is as useless to me now as a fifth weel on my car.

I'm just saying that, having witnessed the x64 hype, when x128 will be released in maybe a couple years, the hype will be as enormous.
    And even then, I won't be convinced of IT'S use either untill it's around for another couple years.

Hey, even now, I'm doing just fine on x86, so can't say this shift to x64 is neccesary for me, I just think I've waited long enough to get the full use of my 4gigs of ram ;)
    Don't do much gaming or massive photoshopping, so I could aswell stay on x86 for another years without even looking at x64.
    But the fact being that the issues around x64 are as good as gone, I just don't see the point in waiting any longer.

Hope this clarifies that we're about the same wavelength on this :cool:

3. ailef

ailef MDL Senior Member

Nov 30, 2007
    why using the 64bit version instead of the 32bit one is also a good security reason, as drivers are digitally signed, no malware will be able to install its own driver and the kernel is locked by microsoft (guardian kernel) that blocks app to modify what it wants into the system, not like the 32bit version.
    that's a good reason.
    the 64 bit is more secure.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    thanks, that IS a very good point I didn't know about..

5. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Yeah, it's mentionned allready earlier in the thread, that it uses digitally sgned drivers only, and is therefor more secure. There is also a tools for forcing non-signed drivers install on x64, for the ones that want it. Also mentionned earlier in the thread with link.

6. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Still didn't found the extra time to perform the switch on my desktop. Gonna have to wait till one of the upcomming days.

I'll report the outcome as soon as I've been able to install.

It's a drag, but with life also comes certain responsabilities, so have to delay a day or so...:rolleyes:

7. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Well, since I couldn't wait :D, I stayed up little longer and installed anyway.
    Smooth riding the whole trip.
    I deleted my xp partition (still had dualboot), and then rebuild bootloader with easybcd 2.0, cause otherwise win7 x86 wouldn't boot anymore.

After that installed x64 in dualboot with x86. Drivers all installed automaticly, exept WinTV-pvr 150, and 1 of 3 printers.

Only little bagger was WinTV-pvr pci card. Allthough it has drivers for x64, the card doesn't work when you have 4gb mem or more.
    So had to fix that, but was easy by just going into advanced boot settings, and changed the mem from 4gb to 3.8gb. After that rebooted and it works perfectly now. I'm loosing 200mb ram, but who cares.

Gonna leave it in dualboot with x86 for now, untill I have my x64 win7 all set up and tweaked/molded to my liking. Then it's byebye 32bit...

I've allready noticed the speedboost in some x64 apps I tried out, which I allready had for x86. The difference is noticable to say the least. Also explorer seems to run a bit faster in everything you do.

Thanx for all the tips and info. Gonna re-read this thread as I'm setting up the system in the comming days, there'll be lots that I can use.

Sincerely :cool:

8. eaponte23

eaponte23 MDL Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I hope Adobe hurries up and gets its act together. Played around with the latest Minefield and it sucks not having flash in the browser... Seems to have a little more pep.

9. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    But the 32bit version works though, innit ?

10. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I'm also happy with my x64 system. The only downside is IE8 x64 I'm using. It works flawlessly, except for the lack of Flash x64 drivers :( But this is a problem of Adobe. I also notice a slight speed boost, for example in iTunes x64.

11. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    We can't use the 32bit version ?

12. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Yep IE8 x32 works just fine in the x64 platform.
    FFx32 works just fine in the x64 platform.

Sure IE8x64 might be a tad bit zippier but web browsing in true x64 fashion won't be any fun until a decent amount of plug-ins/add-ons are written for x64 based browsers.

13. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    I was actually asking about the flash plugin. I'm using FF x86 now, so I know it works. What about the flash plug-in ?

greetz

14. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    The only plugin i know is out that is of any use is a java plugin for x64 browsers.

No flash and not even silverlight are available nor a time line as far as I can see for a plugin.

15. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    there is no flash plugin for x64 FF. Any extensions or plugins that were written for x86 firefox will have to be written for FF x64. Just use x86 FF in your 64-bit OS.

When Adobe will come out with Flash is not anytime soon. They have been promising a x64 version of Flash now for years and still have not even come out with a beta. The next version of Flash plugin will have x64 support but probably not 10.

16. Bagher

Bagher MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2009
    I am having issues with chat in gmail (it won't load). I thought it was a firefox issue but tried it in internet explorer and it doesn't load up there either. If I load up igoogle, the chat works fine. Any ideas?

17. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008

oh bro no problem here. Trust me im hype and we are on the same page. I know for a fact as much as i talk, once 128x come out i bet ill be all over it like white on rice