Google Chrome is scanning your personal files

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by John Sutherland, Apr 8, 2018.

1. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    I guess everyone is ok with smart screen filtering in Edge then?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Hi my BRO R29K as I say another day for JoeC is valid for you too: simple dude don't use Edge more :p:D:rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I am not at all concerned. Members of this forum have no problem with AV programs scanning files, but Chromes AV program is somehow problematic. I think that if it were Firefox, you guys would be sending out kudos to Mozilla! It is the same with Microsoft. Every OS, and most software send data back and forth between the users computer, and its servers. This is to find out how someone is using a software, and if problems occur which can be fixed straight away. But, people here find it problematic that MS is doing it. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. Let the telemetry flow, I want better software, and better Windows!

4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @dhjohns: I understand your position, and you make good points. Both Google and Microsoft are corporations. And each will leverage their
    positions and skill sets to maximize profits. They're expected to by their respective boards of directors.

Truth is, AV scanning is a different animal than browser malware scanning, in that the AV is scanning a binary image looking for byte patterns. The AV makers do everything with signatures, which contain no information other than an exact fingerprint of the binary image.

A browser is scanning for scripts and web malware, which are usually text files. If these text files contain personal information, then they (the browser developers) have both a moral and ethical obligation to respect that privacy.

The moral / ethical obligation holds no weight if there are no legal guidelines to keep them in check.

So the user should be made aware that they must fend for themselves in that regard.

From what I've seen so far, Microsoft has an unfair advantage over just about every browser maker in that they control the OS on a low level. Google has made an attempt to compete by creating its' own OS (a flavor of Linux) and Web Browser.

More power to them. :)

As long as I can turn it off, I don't have a problem with telemetry. Not because of spying mind you; because I need to squeeze every drop of performance from my machine.

I use my computer for recording and composing music. For every task going on in the background, a little bit of CPU power gets taken away from the primary task; recording music.

This can impact (and has for me) MIDI to Audio timing, which can render a project non-functional. It can also add glitches in recorded audio tracks.

5. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Indeed! And I will give the benefit of doubt to Firefox/Linux any day (although never without thinking it through carefully - over strictly-for-profit M$hite and Schmugle...

If that doesn't make any sense to one, then one doesn't have any sense to speak of, as well to speak to...

6. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #26 ipx, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2022

7. browneylad

browneylad MDL Member

Sep 26, 2017
    Maybe using portable browsers the way forward, along with something sandboxing the browser itself? I wonder what would happen when most browsers will move to cloud environment like many av's now, citing speed & small footprint ie no more local cached data.

8. cloudval

cloudval MDL Junior Member

Jun 21, 2018
    i thought all softwares installed in windows had access to files. they don't ?
    Unllike android (mine is Nougat) where you can decide to allow which app access to storage, windows has not asked me for permission(i don't remember) for few softwares(i guess i am allowing permission to access storage to any software if i click "i agree" on 'terms & conditions').

While we are on the topic, suggest me a software which notifies me, if a software tries to access confidential files. i already use avast internet security(do i need anyextra software) to block any software from accessing important folders. This one has been short of a dilemma for me. what if, the software which is supposed to notify you(in case other software tries to access a file), is the one who shares your private data :D

9. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    It doesn't matter if an AV, your browser or your Mom scanns all files, it's a question if it gets submitted to third-parties in order to e.g. make money without your agreement or if it's used to use the information for bad reasons.

The entire story here is btw wrong, Google provided already an option to check/uncheck if you like to "help to improve their product" and this can be enabled/disabled. This is just another rant against Google to hype this in the media without checking the facts. However, Google was kind enough to make it more user friendly so you have bigger buttons now and a bigger warning screen that#s more than enough so that the last noob can understand it.

10. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  11. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    How does Google make a ga-zillion dollars?
    By selling your personal info and advertising. That about the entire operation of Google.
    Google did not start out by selling physical property, they started by selling people as a commodity and got very rich in doing so. Today Google can sell to you all kinds of stuff but their roots are still very deep into what you do and who you are, for profit

12. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Indeed, in that spirit - one just needs to search for its ties to NSA and CIA and see deeper than the surface...