Got Vista Business COA but

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Tulip, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Tulip

Tulip MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2012
    I have a laptop that came with Windows xp (for refurbished pcs) but it also has a Vista Business OEMACT sticker underneath it. Its a IBM x61, I'm trying to install Vista Business. I have used SLIC ToolKit 3.2 and it says I have LENOVOTP-7N_V2.0 its SLIC status says validated etc. I can't get my Pkey or Cert though as its just the Windows XP Pkey. I found lenovo.xrm-ms online to use as the certificate but I don't know what to use as a product key.

Do Lenovo/IBM use one or a few product keys for SLIC installations, or does each laptop have a unique product key.

I tried the key in "Vista OEM SLP Keys" for vista business but it didn't work, also tried the key thats on the sticker of the laptop, predictably that didn't work either.

It says
    Windows Vista Business OEMAct
    Lenovo Singapore

I have no recovery media or anything, just the laptop and the sticker! (I made a vista reistallation cd though)

Thanks

2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Nothing special on this. You need the certificate that matches the SLIC, and a valid key for the edition you are installing.

There may be more than one Lenovo certificate out there.

Easiest solution is probably the DAZ loader, which despite its name, on a machine containing valid SLIC does not actually install a loader but simply activates it with the proper certificate and key.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tulip

Tulip MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2012
    I just realised the vista disc I was using to reinstall was slipstreamed with vista premium sp2, I used one with nothing slipstreamed and used the lenovo SLP key and it recognised it as vista business... Now I just got to slipstream sp2, ie9 and net4, put the certificate and pid in the iso and test it!

4. Tulip

Tulip MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2012
    Got it working, it was because I wasn't using a Vista business dvd, but a Vista premium slipstreamed disc. I haven't tried WGA yet but it is saying its already activated, so hopefully its OK.