gPXE Installing/Booting From iSCSI

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Mr Jinje, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #1 Mr Jinje, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  2. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    You might want to try the official microsoft technet forums on this one. I know a lot of stuff but even this one is beyond my scope of knowledge. Looking at where it blue screens though it is probably due to drivers. If you can post your error logs it might help.

3. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #3 Mr Jinje, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
    (OP)
    It's cool, have no time for snot nose kid tell me reboot my router and check net cable. I don't think it be the drivers, Boot.wim was able to read and format the drive no problem. And it works when I copy a VM VMDK installed locally and stream it back to that VM over iSCSI. So W7 is capable but I just hasn't worked out installing directly to iSCSI. Maybe some fibre channel blade server type had seen this in W2K8 and had quick fix. But then again, those guys rely on $1000 NIC for do this.

When I figure it out I will post back. Other than that I should post a thread in the XP/Vista forum highlighting just how kick ass CCBoot can be.

Plenty of things I can still try, maybe I will create different VMDK at fully expanded size and see if that makes the difference. If that no go, I try change VMDK from SCSI to IDE or to that other SCSI type, or it might be a setting inside the CCBoot, gonna have to play with it some more.

4. usego

usego MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    Had you any success with this? I'm trying to install Win7 to iSCSI target by instructions w w w. ccboot. com /boot-windows-7.htm[/url] , but do not see even iSCSI target as a device in win 7 installation. Default 20g.vmdk is attached successfully while pxe stage.

5. usego

usego MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    Yes. PXE looks OK, I see "preserving SAN connection" and PC icon in CCBoot turns to green, after this setup from DVD begin. But it run very slow with 1-2 minute delays without any activity. And finally I do not see any iscsi devices in list.

6. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    use diskpart to see if it launches

I will test this out on one of my new VMs, I wanted a way to run Diskless servers because everything on the boxes now goes onto my SAN.

I run a Hyper-V R2 HA Failover cluster, so disksless servers would be real nice. That, and another 4 gigs of DDR2533 in 2gb chips, and another AMD that support virtualization....