Graphic card issue with HP a1130n

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by az, Jul 22, 2011.

1. az

az MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2011
    Hello --

I have an HP a1130n with a Msi MS-7093 motherboard. I have been running a Radeon 3650 Video Card with the motherboard for some time with good results. I bought a new card because the fan was going out on the old one. The new card is a Radeon 6450 that I got because it does not use a fan and is fairly low power.

The new card doesn't work in my system. The system won't boot and doesn't even put up the bios information The computer powers up and the fans run but not a single character is displayed.

Any chance that upgrading the BIOS on this motherboard could fix this video problem? The old video board that works uses PCIE 2.0 The new board uses PCIE 2.1 The 2.1 card is supposed to be backwards compatible but I have heard of problems some PCIE 2.1 cards that aren't really backwards compatible.

Thoughts?

Thanks

az

2. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #2 x86, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
    Hello & Welcome to MDL!

As I was reading your post, my first thought was the bus compatibility - which you mentioned should be ok. But, I didn't see any remarks regarding PSU power that you already have. ATI's GPUs are known to be power-hungry (I have one actually ;)) and this might probably be the reason for your PC not even making it to the BIOS screen.

Solution - check your existing PSU's power, and borrow something with even more power to verify this assumption. If you don't have access to a 'test' PSU, try removing other things i.e. HDD, optical drives, fans or anything that is connected and requires power. If your system boots, you will have to buy a more powerful PSU. But first check it...

Another possibility (but slim) is that your new card uses a specific voltage which your existing motherboard/bus does not provide.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. az

az MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2011
    I will try a different supply tonight. I thought the new card would take less than the existing card because the existing card has the fan and the new card has only a heat sink. With the old setup, I was running two hard drives and two optical drives. I already tried unplugging all but the boot harddrive.

I have a supply I can borrow to test.

Thanks for the info

az

5. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    It is actually the GPU that makes the difference in power consumption - not the fan. What you got now is passive cooling - which is good - as long as your PC box/tower is well ventilated/cool...

6. az

az MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2011
    Yes I understand. It is just that the more power you have to dissipate, the more likely you need a fan to do it I was thinking.

Anyway, PSU testing tonight

Thanks

7. az

az MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2011
    Tested higher power PSUs but no joy.

1. Replaced existing supply with a 400W supply from work. Old card works, new card still doesn't work.
    2. Installed the card in my linux box which has a 550W supply. New card works.
    3. Moved 550W supply to the a1130n windows box. Old card works, new card still doesn't work.

I conclude it really is the new card with the MS-7093 motherboard that is not working. PSU doesn't seem to be the issue.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

AZDave

8. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #8 x86, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  9. az

az MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2011
    I will give that a try. Can you tell me what is in the CMOS that could effect this issue? Just curious. I don't know what kind of stuff is in the CMOS nowdays. Will I lose anything valuable if I do that?

I have read in posts that MSI will not support OEM boards -- they want you to go to the OEM site. I will check MSI and also HP and see what I can find.

Thanks!

AZDave

10. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Just BIOS settings that might have been kept from previous configuration(s).

You won't be losing anything vital by doing so - you will just have to re-enter date/time. Everything else should be automatically go back to the factory defaults. In older motherboards, there have been cases in which the user had to manually detect some HDD drive(s). I haven't encountered this issue in recent years, so you shouldn't worry about that either ;)

11. az

az MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2011
    Tried clearing the CMOS but still no success.

I posted the question on the hp support site and someone suggested removing the old drivers and pressing F8 while it came up. I don't think this makes any sense because untill you get past the POST, the disk drive is not read. My problem is happening much sooner in the boot process.

12. az

az MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2011
    I want to investigate upgrading the BIOS to see if that fixes it. It is interesting that a PCIE2.0 card works and a PCIE2.1 card doesn't. MSI has newer BIOS versions out for this motherboard than HP does although none of the release notes talk about PCIE improvements. Are there problems I could run into using a generic version of the BIOS instead of an HP version?

13. Tahunasky

Tahunasky MDL Junior Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Hi, Is there a setting in bios for primary video output (onboard or PCI-e) - which is defaulted to onboard. I have a HP dx7400, which also has a MSI motherboard.. When i upgraded the gaphics card (i already had a nvidia card) i had to boot first time with monitor plugged in to onboard VGA port as it defaulted back to onboard (i am guessing it detected a change in the PCI-e card), then change setting in BIOS and then plugged monitor into the new card..

14. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011