GRUB options for Windows

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by paul3200, Apr 8, 2015.

1. paul3200

paul3200 Guest

I have set up Windows 10 on my laptop which already had Windows 7 and Ubuntu 14.04.
    When Windows 10 completed installing it put its own boot menu to cover both versions of windows.

Is there any way of removing this and just having GRUB to have options for both Windows 7 and 10?
    Instead of just selecting the Windows 10 boot menu and having to select which version of windows from there?

2. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #2 Skaendo, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I'm a LiLo user so I don't know the specifics, but you should be able to reconfigure/update/reinstall Grub in Ubuntu. If Ubuntu is not listed in the boot menu, you may have to boot a Live OS (Ubuntu does this?).

*After thinking about it, you might just have to reinstall Grub all together, since Windows will overwrite it.

To update Grub I think in a terminal it's:
    Code:
    # update-grub

Then you will see all three (Win7, Win10, Ubuntu) in Grub when you restart.

To manually edit Grub:
    Code:
    $ sudo nano -w /boot/grub/grub.conf 

And of course to install Grub is:
    Code:
    # apt-get install grub
    # update-grub

(If my Debian memory serves correctly)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Another way is to sudo apt-get install grub-customizer from ppa:Danielrichter2007/grub-customizer.

You can then install grub to MBR from it's menu. If you want you can edit grub's menu as well (e.g remove entrties, or 2x-click to change os-prober.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. paul3200

paul3200 Guest

Cheers for the replys,

i will look into it when i get back to my laptop