Guest XP, ESXi 5 and sound device

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by pepito2, Mar 23, 2012.

1. pepito2

pepito2 MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2009
    Anyone got sound in a xp guest whithin an ESXi 5 host?

I have added HD Audio device manually, and installed the 'Microsoft UUA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio'.

Now I got an unknown hardware: 'Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus'.

It has the following hardware id: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_15AD&DEV_1975&SUBSYS_15AD1975&REV_1001

I haven't got find any compatible driver nowhere. If I force the realtek's one, i got a BSOD...

Any ideas?

Cheers

2. haileris

haileris MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    I think most people use RDP to get sound - for example w w w.emware.nl/articles/no-sound-in-esx-esxi-through-rdp.html

I guess you could use soundcard pass through.

3. pepito2

pepito2 MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2009
    Yeah! that is what I want...

But correct me, to get sound I need a "working" device in guest, otherwise there is no sound to send to rdp client.

4. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    If you are running the guest and connecting via VConsole or vmware client (I mean you see your machine while having the console open) you wont get any sound, in fact it will tell you 'no device found' with an x on it, you will only get sound when you remote desktop to it (taken you have the option selected on the RD app settings).

5. pepito2

pepito2 MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2009
    I know it, I have already allowd the sound redirection in rdp. But in the virtual xp, I have no sound devices so there is no sound played nor directed to rdp client.

I have extracted the audio drivers from a 2003 machine and installed them but I get an error code 10.

cheers