Guide for enable Start Menu in Windows 8 Consumer Preview - Windows8beta.com

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ebeltoft, Mar 5, 2012.

1. cipacipacipa

cipacipacipa MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    I just did, unfortunately it doesn't work in CP, was intended for DP.

2. iMPL0DE

iMPL0DE MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2012
    Anyone tried Start8 by stardock? I've been using it on both my 8 CP machines and it works great!

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  4. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Nice!! thanks!!

Microsoft must be furious that it is putting so much effort and work to make the new OS "different" and then we have these "fixes" to bring it back to a productive/usable OS :p

I just love this!! thanks for the post!

5. cvikas

cvikas MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2008
    Thanks, i will try it, however i think windows is trying something new with a different look and feel.... windows 8 and xbox connect together will work well, with this kind of start page

6. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    I've tried it, but it's not working not even close to Windows 7 start menu...so I erased Windows 8. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. mictlan

mictlan MDL Member

Nov 9, 2009
  9. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    If you mean classicshell then you need the latest version which added Windows 8 CP support. It won't look like the Windows 7 start menu since it's not supposed to, but it is skinnable so who knows what will come in the future.

@ mictlan
    That actually looks pretty good :)

10. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
  11. Windows Fan

Windows Fan MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2012
    #52 Windows Fan, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  12. cipacipacipa

cipacipacipa MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    I also tried the new win8-compatible classicshell version and it's fantastic - quick search works across all programs, apps and files, programs are pinnable... everything works as it's supposed to. Definitely the best CSM implementation yet, beats ViStart and Start8 by light years. The only thing missing now would be the ability to bypass the metro monstrosity at system start (or get rid of that f**ker completely) and Win8 would actually become useable again. :)

13. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    This version it was not there, so I didn't try it...but, never the less, I won't install Crappy8 on my PC again. IF microsoft remains with Crappy8, then I'll stick with Win7 forever.

14. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
  15. OvaryActing

OvaryActing MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Unless this program brings to the table "right click to 'pin to start MENU' ", it is still completely useless. If i cannot simply right-click and pin to start menu for any item I wish, everything anyone does 3rd party is a complete fail.

16. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    You can pin to start menu with the context menu, but you can drag from everywhere directly to start orb, then put it in every column of the classic shell start menu :D

17. cipacipacipa

cipacipacipa MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    From that discussion thread below that article on tom's hardware, this has to be the best description of Win8 & Metro EVER, hands down:

"It's like going to a restaurant and ordering an apple pie. You can see them making the apple pie and it looks delicious. The apples are fresh, the filling is sweet, the crust is flaky and delicious.. then right before they serve it to you, they have an elephant take a nice big dump on it."

Hell, I'm gonna make this my new sig. :)

18. anonymuos

anonymuos MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2008
    Bypassing the Metro screen at startup is not possible because Microsoft put a licensing check in place to prevent it. But you can place a shortcut to the "Show Desktop" command (explorer.exe shell:::{3080F90D-D7AD-11D9-BD98-0000947B0257}) in the Startup folder to automatically show the desktop after a while once it boots. Sorting items in the main recently used program list wasn't possible in the Windows 7 menu either, it's possible in subfolders. For "pinning" in Classic Shell's Start Menu you can just drag an item to the top from the MRU list and it will be "pinned". Delete or Shift+Delete it to well, "unpin" it.

19. luke7

luke7 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009