GUIDE: How to backup and restore Windows 8 activation

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by JaguarXJ12, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Boops

Boops MDL Addicted

Jan 5, 2008
    Well, I tell you my experience.
    SO: Windows 8 Professional x64 RTM
    Activation KMS: 179 days countdown.

1. I made a copy of the folder "store" according to the Guide on my desktop.
    2. I did a reset "slmgr -rearm"
    3. When you start Windows, lost activation, and I got the watermark of Build. I still had 999 rearmed.
    4. I rebooted in Safe Mode, and copied directly to the contents of the folder "store" in their place of origin.
    5. When I rebooted back into Normal mode, the trigger back, the watermark disappeared, and using "slmgr-dlv" can see that everything was like at the beginning and that the number of rearmed back to 1000.

:p

EDIT: I tried to repeat the experience again, but no longer allows me to do the rearmed. I get an error. o_O

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. BlackEyes

BlackEyes MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2012
    Yea that was my problem i didn't read it was hidden, so it was me who f**ked up haha, oh well i'll wait for other activation method.

3. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

Nice to hear that it worked for you. As for why it doesn't work rearming again I don't really know. Why do you want to rearm once you have activated?
    The very first time I tried this procedure before reinstalling I just uninstalled the key using slmgr -upk to get unactivated and unlicensed instead of rearming as you did.

I bet if you were to reinstall Windows you can rearm again. But since you have backup there is no need to rearm at all, just restore activation and enjoy.

4. Boops

Boops MDL Addicted

Jan 5, 2008
    Reinstall Windows altogether and put the copy of the license and I can have it activated?

EDIT: Tomorrow I'll prove it in time with VirtualBox

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    Does it have to be the same hard drive? I know,at least,it has to be the same OS, sorry if it was already mentioned,i just skimmed through the posts.. :)

6. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

I'm actually quite uncertain of that. I know if you make serious changes to hardware it will require reactivation. Whether a hard drive switch qualifies for reactivation I can't answer to.
    Maybe it will work if it's the same model and brand. I haven't really tried more than with a motherboard once.

7. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    ok,i ask because i want to install on one of my SSD's, i currently have two activated Win8 enterprise N x64 OS's on two IDE hard drives,i will let you know if it works :)

8. generalsu

generalsu MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I did it in safe mode

9. generalsu

Jul 30, 2009
    Actually it does work fine. Instead of copying back the entire SPP folder, I just copied the STORE folder instead. Did everything in safe mode.

10. generalsu

Jul 30, 2009
    I am confirming that JaguarXJ12's method works for me on Windows 8 Enterprise x64 RTM using MacBook Pro Unibody.

11. madamimadam

madamimadam MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012
    sorry if this is the wrong thread. I have backed up my license per the instructions in the first post(well written and easy to follow BTW). I am wondering if I can install media center, and when it breaks the activation, if I can reactivate using the method from this thread...My guess is that my key will change with the addition of Media Center and it will no longer be valid and ill be back to reinstalling and reinserting my key with no media center. CAN I USE THIS TO INSTALL MEDIA CENTER AND STILL BE ACTIVATED?

12. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    you have to go through the process itself,unless someone already tried it

13. madamimadam

madamimadam MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012
    dang, I was really trying not to be my own guinea pig here...oh well, ill report back tomorrow after a I get a chance spend some time at my desk.

14. Teknik

Teknik MDL Senior Member

Oct 9, 2010
    the date of expiration is the same every time feb 2or3 2013 :(

15. kronicar

kronicar MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2011
    wonder where to find that folder under windows 7 :), or is it possible to do it on win 7

16. hackerofgame

hackerofgame MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012
    guys sry im new here, my win8 was activated but coz of lots of error i reinstall it, then i cant activated again now, all server down, i just curios can i use one of you guys backups for activated mine, through its all same iso same key, maybe it can work ^^ really need u guys help and support, if can, help me to share your enterprise -n x64 backup activation :D thanks

17. win7

win7 MDL Senior Member

Dec 21, 2008
    If I was to take the store folder from an activated enterprise, and installed professional on another partition and put the store folder there, would it activate or will it only work on the same edition??

18. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    did not work when i re-installed to SSD from hard drive store folder :p

19. BlackEyes

BlackEyes MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2012
    Yea! it works, i didn't check the hidden and i still had the data file! i just replaced it and now it works! thanks man great method.

20. itsmartain

itsmartain MDL Junior Member

Feb 22, 2012
    If I install the same version of win 8 on my sons pc, can I use the backed up store folder to activate his copy.