GUIDE: How to backup and restore Windows 8 activation

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by JaguarXJ12, Aug 8, 2012.

1. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    do you have the exact same hardware?

2. BlackEyes

BlackEyes MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2012
    Yes, exactly the same.

3. hackerofgame

hackerofgame MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012
    guys sry im new here, my win8 was activated but coz of lots of error i reinstall it, then i cant activated again now, all server down, i just curios can i use one of you guys backups for activated mine, through its all same iso same key, maybe it can work ^^ really need u guys help and support, if can, help me to share your enterprise -n x64 backup activation :D thanks

4. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    our backups will not work on yours because it has to be same hardware specifications,sorry :D

5. hackerofgame

hackerofgame MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012
    i can give it a try :(

6. dimbohda6

dimbohda6 MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2012
    Hello, I'm currently running windows 8 pro x86, is it possible with this method given by you to transfer to windows8 pro x64 and to activate it after those few steps in the first post. Thank you in advance :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. duydangle

duydangle MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    You should have used Windows 8's refresh feature...

8. madamimadam

madamimadam MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012
    What I have learned 1.The method described by the OP works perfectly for Pro if you follow the steps EXACTLY as they are written. 2. Installing media center breaks Windows activation. 3.Im still a little wet behind the ears messing with Operating systems, but I feel like I am in the right place to start learning 4. I should consider myself lucky that I was one of the ones that managed to ping the KMS server before it was taken down.

9. desiwizard

desiwizard MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2012
    Hi All

Just a weird thought that can we share our activation backup along with hardware specs on this forum?, so the people who have the same specs try to download the backups according to the matching hardware profile. This may benefit the community until we have some other solution.

I am not sure that this would work or no.

10. hackerofgame

hackerofgame MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012
    thats a good idea man

11. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    Probably won't work, the windows device check include "CPU serial".
    :D

12. tithitoy

tithitoy MDL Junior Member

Aug 27, 2007
    I just have updated Intel chipset and AHCI driver and "boom", activation gone. Not try reinstall yet

13. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

Thank you for sharing this info, I have added a reminder on the first page about this.

14. Jessica Alba

Jessica Alba MDL Expert

Jul 26, 2009
    works perfectly :biggrin:

15. JamesG269

JamesG269 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2011
    Did not work for me. I reinstalled Windows a few hours ago because I hacked it too much, then reinstalled again a few minutes later after breaking it again. So I wasn't sure which windows.old was the right one, so I tried both, they both say they could not be activated, one had the install key (*cryqh) the other had no key, in control panel->system->activation..I made sure to copy all 3 files and the folder, to spp\store\. The 15th can't come soon enough, sigh.

16. jhim999999999

jhim999999999 MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012
    hi...i already have activated windows 8 enterprise through KMS server, now i want to switch into windows 8 pro,can i use my back up store folder to activate windows 8 Pro?

17. madamimadam

madamimadam MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012
    No. That would be equivalent to a free upgrade.

18. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

As mentioned on the first page, NO you can't.
    If activation would have been universal then everybody could have switched activations with each other, a little bit too easy don't you think.

19. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Jag,
    I just read every page in this thread and as usual I find that people are just too lazy to read. These stupid questions keep being asked over and over again. The only reason why I say it is a stupid question is because it is answered in the guide. At the end of your guide you put "thanks for reading". I wonder how many people actually get that far. Btw, thanks for the info and this does work on win8 pro x64 if the directions are followed exactly.