[GUIDE] N56VZ bios replacement with CH341A ISP programmer

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by david esad, Jan 3, 2015.

1. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    likely the management engine.. post new chip contents to compare.

2. dieterdm

dieterdm MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2018
    Hi,
    I came across the same problem. I made a small change in the bios and since then my N56VZ doesn't boot anymore.
    It had the latest bios installed and was running Windows 10.

I made a backup of the data on the chip and can reprogram it. However the situation stays the same: After power button, black screen, fan works, nothing else.
    So far, I tried 3 different combinations:
    1/ The first 2 Mb of the original data + 6 Mb BIOS downloaded from ASUS.
    After comparing this new file with the original data, I notices there were almost no differences. The original data got more "meaningful" data (a few "FF" in the downloaded BIOS were random on the original load, but this might be corrupted as well).
    2/ The 8 Mb file from LatinMcG posted above
    3/ The first 2 Mb from LatinMcG file + 6 Mb from the origin data

Any ideas what went wrong? Things I could try?

Apart from that, the explanation of david esad and the replies in this thread have been really helpful so far. Thank you for that.

And maybe this is useful for others as well:
    I bought a ch341a programmer and first tried downloading the windows application.
    However, the version 1.18 failed to do something on my Windows 7 laptop and a newer version was constantly deleted by my virus scanner.
    In the end I found flashrom (.org), which supports many kinds of chips and many kinds of programmers.
    I first ran it on an Ubuntu virtual machine (in VirtualBox 5), but constantly got USB TIMEOUT errors during read or write. I think it was related to the VM itself. I installed flashrom on my Raspberry Pi and that works perfectly :)

3. dieterdm

dieterdm MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2018
    Thanks for that. Just flashing that file didn't work :-( I'll go through that thread and see if I can find something else.
    I'm also trying to understand the internals of the data itself and found that the biggest part of the first 2 Mb is the Intel ME. Hoping that this part would be corrupted, I tried replacing that part with the same version I downloaded. In a second attempt, I tried disabling most of its components with me_cleaner which I found on GitHub. Unfortunately, that didn't work either.
    I'm a bit puzzled now, since I tried replacing the 6 Mb BIOS part (or is it UEFI?) which did not change much and also tried replacing/disabling the ME part. I ruled out any hardware failures as the issue occurred after making a configuration change. So there is not much left to try...
    A few years ago, I replaced my hard drive with an SSD. Could this explain why the downloaded bin files do not to work?
    Also, sometimes the laptop shuts down after a few seconds, sometimes it stays running (with the same firmware load). Any idea when it (or might not) shut down?
    For now, I know that I was using bios 217 and ME 8.0.10.1464. I'll have to dig a bit deeper to understand what exactly is happening.

4. amr2fxg

amr2fxg MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2018
    Any one still has the bios.bin to download? all links here are broken! I'm having same issue with my asus n56vz laptop.

5. amr2fxg

amr2fxg MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2018
    Hi! Perhaps uou have the Bios.bin file so I can download? Im experiencing the same problem as in the post here, and looking for a BIOS file to flash my chip. Tks in advance

6. asusnv56

asusnv56 MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2020
    I just came here to thank you all guys. I had the same problem. I changed something in the bios (I don't know which setting) and after that nothing worked. No logo and no POST, the laptop did not try to boot, just a black screen. I reflashed the bios after the instructions from the italian site. I patched the bios file the same way tenxatenx did (thank you mate!) and the laptop boots again...