Guide to preserve Windows 8.x OEM Activation

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Tito, Dec 11, 2012.

1. kittyshen2013

kittyshen2013 MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2013
    This is very useful for sharing, I think I need to learn more about.

2. jackmonter5

jackmonter5 MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Hey there this is my experience with the surface pro. straight out of box booted it up without internet and got watermark build 9200 on the desktop, and machine showed not activated. when i pushed activate now it gave an error (i think it's very strange to sell machines that show unactivated, what a great OOBE :worthy: .

I wiped the machine by using diskpart, clean and installed Windows 8 HE-IL MSDN Iso, it picked up automatically the OEM key and installed the PRO version, and i connected to internet, and it showed activated. (I understand from the first post that you can't do the above with core version to replace Win 8 us-en with foreign lang ISO? that core OEM keys are language specific?)

Thanks Tito for all the info!!!

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback.

Basically CoreCountrySpecific edition can't be activated properly if you try to change the default Chinese laguage. On the other hand, CoreSingleLanguage edition doesn't allow you to change the language after installation. You must change it through dism before installing.

For Core or Professional, you can use any language edition for re-installing.

:)

4. jackmonter5

Jul 27, 2009
    Thanks for the info Tito, so you're saying that the en-us core that's sold in 99% of laptops in US stores can be converted like PRO into any language?

Also for the sake of imaging a laptop for a master image for other laptops with OEM:DM, must the OEM:DM key be manually insterted into the target machines using slmgr -ipk? or is there a way to force a mini setup that picks up the key from bios automatically?

FYI the Surface is really locked down, even with secure boot disabled, i wasn't able to boot Windows 7 UEFI USB drive, gave a boot error, only booted from Windows 8 X64 UEFI (i didnt try X86 but im pretty sure it's uefi only so no 32bit). other than that surface seems very well built and lots of thinking went into design (type keyboard, kickstand, but wasnt too impressed by the pen) too bad it isn't mine to keep :mad:

5. bigdogchris

bigdogchris MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2011
    I'm having a little difficulty understanding the instructions.

Lets say I have an HP Windows 8 device that is full of bloat. I want to put in a new hard drive and do a clean install of Windows 8.

1. On the existing installation, use RW-Everything to find your product key
    2. Verify SKU type of that product key with PID checkers
    3. Select matching media type for SKU
    4. Delete ei.cfg file from Sources
    5. Swap in new hard drive
    6. Install OS from disc (you will not be prompted to enter a key)
    Is this right?

6. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    You will only need to install normally from the official Windows 8 Core+Pro media. The setup should pick up your key and install the matching SKU.

7. mourall

mourall MDL Novice

May 10, 2013
    Hello,

I try to do a fresh install on my new asus ac300. This is what i got from pid check website :

Product Key : XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX
    Validity : Valid
    Product ID : XXXX-60529-XXXX-AAOEM
    Activation ID : 9xxxxxxb-3xx5-xxfx-9xxf-cxxxfxxxbxxc
    Edition Type : Core
    Description : Win 8 RTM Core OEM:DM
    Edition ID : X18-15561
    Key Type : OEM:DM
    Crypto ID : 1796

I think now I have a core version. Where can i download the msdn iso?

I tried to install it with windows8-install.exe that I download on microsoft website, then tried to select my own product key (hidden here), but it failed.

Did I miss something?

Sorry I'm not native english.

Thanks

8. pramodm

pramodm MDL Member

Aug 10, 2012
    As Tito mentions clearly in the first post, since your SKU is simply the CORE version of Windows 8 without the extra Single'd versions, your key should be automatically detected by the MSDN ISO of the same while you are installing it afresh.
    Not exactly sure of the windows8-install.exe that you are talking about though. :rolleyes:

9. mourall

mourall MDL Novice

May 10, 2013
    Thanks you. I understood my sku is the core version.

(windows8-install.exe is the 5Mo program you can download from website to get window 8 from windows 7 for instance. Since Tito explain how to find the key of my computer, i tried to launch it and to enter the key to see... )

However, how could I find the MSDN ISO, now? I didn't find the link yet...

10. mourall

mourall MDL Novice

May 10, 2013
    Thanks !

I'll download mine.

11. Kherosene

Kherosene MDL Novice

May 6, 2013
    This might be off-topic but how can I preserve my OEM activation with hardware modifications?

12. jackmonter5

Jul 27, 2009
    You can modify the hardware all you wish, as long as the motherboard is the same youre fine. this is because this is because the key is tattooed into the MB.

13. Kherosene

Kherosene MDL Novice

May 6, 2013
    I'm just thinking that the hardware ID might change causing the key to not work.

14. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Well you could always change the hardware and attempt to activate. If it doesn't work then you could change the hardware back, right?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Kherosene

Kherosene MDL Novice

May 6, 2013
    But when upgrade are essential? That is why I ask how to make it work -_-

16. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Got money to upgrade then you've got money to buy another key.
    If your cheap then activate via kms.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009