[Guide]Way to Disable Keylogger/ Telemetry v3.55

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by LiteOS, Oct 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Actually I wasn't very helpful at all. I just google searched the exact name of the thing to find out what it was, because I was curious as well.

On that 2nd point, that's pretty much how I would test this thing.
    I do a bit of MS OS torrenting, so I'm kind-of waiting until we figure out how to safely disable most of this stuff without causing other issues; before I try it and submit some feedback.

One thing I never do is log into a legit MS email in windows 8+
    I know I can disable skydrive, but I'm still skeptical that none of my personal information is not being catalogued.
    I pretty much exclusively visit the MS update catalog (yeah I know, ironic) in Internet Explorer.
    If I were logged in, I'm concerned that they could fairly easily figure out who I am through meta data and monitoring torrent IPs.

I guess I could VPN, but that's kinda a hassle just to test something to help MS.

2. tmf2

tmf2 MDL Junior Member

May 5, 2010
    #82 tmf2, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    Useless or not, opinions aside,the post is irreverent and off topic and don't contribute anything but a pi##ing contest to the op just saying, even though I'm not a admin. So lets move on sans opinions or debated ethics.

3. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Ok guys lets get down to barebones.

We don't have to block the key logger or any of the logging. All we have to do is block the pipe in which it is servicing to the MS servers. My initial thoughts were port blocking / host file editing. That means we can track the IPs being used without interfering with the functionality of the OS. In other words no service disabling and the like as I've run into issues going down that road. We need a way to disable one side without disabling the feedback so the OS is still constructive to use. A balance between going hardcore and not giving anything back. While not saying yes I want you to Data Mine the crap out of me lol.

The certificate idea is awesome in my mind however that being said. We agreed when we installed the software to feedback and incidentally the EULA. How many of you guys can say with a straight face that you read the EULA? Come on out with ye lol

4. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Also can we use the right term here and call it:

DATA MINING

lol

5. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    that's it: simple data mining and nothing more. Folks at Redmond cannot handle your private stuff and never want to. They even cannot since the kind of data they try to collect do not fit into their mining pool. Please be not paranoid and forgive me if i insulted anyone :D

6. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

It is entirely relevant to point out the cons of disabling the feature.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Exactly. It's one thing to block the annoying thing from happening. It's quite another to solve the issue without bringing up many further issues.
    Remember when win8 came out? A lot of people went and modded the system files so that it didn't nag them about activation. They even went so far as to call it a permanent activator, which it was no such thing.
    They had no idea about the daily reporting MS does to the activation servers in the event logs. You couldn't update your system because it would break more things. Personalization tab didn't work.
    They thought they were so clever bypassing the one issue that they failed to see the forest through the trees.

8. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #88 Smorgan, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    The problem here is that if we talk about the technical aspects of disabling the "Data mining" in windows 10. Inevitably we are going to have to get into the ethics of doing so.

It was going to happen eventually as Data Mining is seeing scrutiny with what can be done with it. If you collect enough you see the habits of peoples lives outside of what they do on the internet. We can disable the feedback system inside of Windows 10 without compromising the amount of feedback Microsoft is already getting. I feel like we need to poke a few people in the eyes over the notion of saying "well you disabled it that means the OS will not mature as a whole" is such a childish notion. There will always be a need to customize portions of the operating system to fulfill the needs of other people so please do not kid us when you say they are not getting enough feedback.

Now I feel the best way to disable the data mining is not really to disable it but block the networking that it utilizes. That means we are not tinkering with the functionality of the OS.

We need to establish a technical balancing act that does not harm the functionality of the OS.

9. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Most users have no idea how Google and Bing know exactly what advertisements to target them with, they think cookies are something only eaten with a glass of milk. Data mining is nothing new and when all is said and done it is the end users responsibility to protect his own interests.

That said, I do not believe that this "data mining" is anywhere near as invasive as your average tracking cookie.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #90 Smorgan, Oct 13, 2014
    This is true however most "data mining" is done in a web browser. That way you can always remove such cookies at your convenience.

11. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Whatever peoples feelings on whether or not to disable certain data gathering things are, this much is apparent:
    Learning how to do these things is important. We can no longer trust MS not to collect data, and we cannot trust a government not to abuse their laws to obtain our data.
    I'm not so egotistical that I think the government is spying on me or anything.
    What I'm suggesting is that it's better to be reasonable about your security.

People lock their houses and have easily broken windows all over.
    Would you not be safer if you use some sort of laminate glass that was a lot harder to break?
    Thinking that nobody will abuse our personal data is just wishful thinking.
    Everyone in the history of the world with power over someone else has abused it to some degree.
    If you give them power over your personal data, they can and will abuse it; I promise.

This is just a Tech Preview, but it's important to learn how to defend ourselves if this stuff is more integrated in the final RTM.

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @murphy78

I mainly agree with you what you wrote above!

Just to tell: MS told in the past and do till today, the use of Pre-Release Software should not be used with sensitive, personal and other data use for 'production' in any means. If that would had be done by the user's the majority of post in this forum would never had need to be written!

The whole would differs, if MS would carry on with the same intensive collection of data AFTER the release of those software, which would be a simple breach of existing law and therefore not allowed!

Until today, there some ways to prevent the stealing of data by the manufacturer's/developers of software. It's just a question how eager an user is for to take care for his own property. In fact, most are just to lazy to do just that! It's just much more easy just to complain and shouting about what others do instead of looking for the dirt in our own house, to speak in pictures.

13. KnowledgeableNewbie

KnowledgeableNewbie MDL Member

Sep 30, 2014
    i totally agree. keylogging bad, some feedback good. how many people have downloaded the Preview? 10mil, 20mil? now if every one starts to mess with OS files to disable the keylogger and something frags, MS is suddenly inundated with feedback on on this problem, and redirects resources to solving this problem or making it harder to do instead of using the resources to solve real Win 10 problems. all i'm saying is that the port blocking, hosts, or some similar fix seem to be the best way to go. once the RTM comes out then is the time to beat on the OS with a hammer and get rid of it completely. also just a side question, has anyone tried any of the antikeyloggers to see what happens?

14. omgbbqit

omgbbqit MDL Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #94 omgbbqit, Oct 13, 2014
    How about those of you upset at our personal choice to assume control of our personal data on our personal computers just assume we a) KNOW and don't care what the EULA says, b) are allowed to do whatever we like with our own machines and c) are damn well aware of "consequences". Then you can just let us get on with it. There. Problem solved. Do whatever you like on your system, and stop dictating what people should do with theirs. It's their choice. Simple as that. /I do what I want, and you do what you're told/ Not too hard to moderate if that is taken into account. Whiners leave us to it. Simple. Clear. Concise.

15. deagles

deagles MDL Developer

Feb 22, 2013
    #95 deagles, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  16. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #96 Mr Jinje, Oct 13, 2014
  17. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Now that's is a professional guide, not some sort of amateurs hacks :cool:

18. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    #98 murphy78, Oct 13, 2014

I imagine modding some of those keys requires trustedinstaller or system permissions.
    I've recently tried your bubble gui and I've been having issues running devxexec. It gives permissions errors.
    They might have patched the method that you were using.
    However, one method might still work: runonce script.
    scheduling a script to run from the registry's runonce will elevate the permissions, I believe; unless we need some sort of unlock on the registry portions (or a combination of the two).

I'll play with yours and deagles' scripts in a vm today and maybe mess with wireshark and look at some of the scheduled tasks.
    I'll see if I can make a disabler/enabler sfx or something.

19. deagles

deagles MDL Developer

Feb 22, 2013
    I imported only reg 2) and ran wireshark for about an hour. Then I filtered for "dns" queries and checked the requests.
    (Make sure you run "ipconfig /flushdns" before)

It did not connect to vortex.data.microsoft.com (Asimov) but
    sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com and watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.

:matrix:

20. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    #100 murphy78, Oct 14, 2014
    Deagles yer a smart dude, do you have any idea how to script a .crt untrusted addition?
    Back when we were messing with .cer files for the tap-tunmirror stuff this was our line:
    Code:
    certutil.exe -addstore -f "TrustedPublisher" tap0901.cer >nul 2>&1
    However, I have no idea if/how it would work with .crt files and to disable...
    Got any ideas?