[Guide] Windows 10TP Watremark Removal

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Skaendo, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Understandable, but yes you would need an alternate os to boot into in order to replace the shell32.dll.mui. I don't know if a live Win8 will work in your situation or not.
    If you were to try it, I would add a note in the guide if it works or not. Thanks for trying though!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SkOrPn

SkOrPn MDL Senior Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Your welcome, and I think it may be the raided setup that is causing my issue. I doubt the old resource hacker can properly edit the dll without breaking the hash on my RAID0 windows install. This is my guess anyway. I have a feeling it may work if I just live boot to windows 8.1 and drop the edited files in that way, at least with files successfully edited on another machine. However, if I wipe out this install and am forced to install it again, I am about 100% certain I will have to create a new machine during the account/install process, effectively wiping out my current settings and apps. LOL, I think I am too lazy to go down that road right now. Wish I had known sooner that 9901 breaks that feature before I first installed it.

Anyway thanks again for the help.

3. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    If someone could recommend a free file hosting site (not Google), I could upload the edited files, and the required .reg files.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SkOrPn

SkOrPn MDL Senior Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Umm, is MEGA not allowed here or Dropbox?

5. WardocsRevenge

WardocsRevenge MDL Expert

Jan 13, 2012
    try lol google lol drive haha

6. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    I have updated the pre-edited files with other builds.
    Please post any errors so I can fix!

7. LLStarks

LLStarks MDL Member

May 17, 2011
    Your choice of file host is awful

10 attempts over the course of an hour to download

8. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #29 Skaendo, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
    (OP)
  9. SkOrPn

SkOrPn MDL Senior Member

Sep 8, 2012
    #30 SkOrPn, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I assume I can just replace the Microsoft Confidential message with say "Awesome OS"? lol

Is this the proper code?

Code:
    62000,""
    62001,""
    Or is is exactly how you have it in the OP with the extra spaces? Remember, some forum software can add spaces where they do not belong.

Like so?
    62000, " "
    62001, " "

10. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Yea, I don't know if there are any limitations on how long it can be, but you could put poems, sayings, quotes, literally anything there!

11. hana

hana MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2008
    1- copy both files to desktop
    2- edit them using resource hacker, compile and save.
    3- take owner ship of both original files and then rename them
    4- copy the edited files back to their place.
    5- run cmd as admin and type mcbuilder.exe
    6- restart and that's it.

12. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012

Attached Files:

13. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    I have had no luck with the leftover string. However I have noticed that it is also present while installing 9901.
    I am going to look into what Painter7 has said about "Watermarks ends with a hash which is calculated by shell32.dll from registry" and "The only solution is in-memory patch for shell32.dll"

14. SkOrPn

SkOrPn MDL Senior Member

Sep 8, 2012
  15. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    I wont be adding anything else to this unless someone requests another build added to the pre-edited files. I might add the files for the next official build, but since there are people creating programs to remove the watermarks, it is not likely.

I would like to add that I think that this is a better way of removing the watermarks since you can see what is going on and you know exactly what is happening on your PC. I am not trashing anyone for creating programs that do it for you, just that it might be a waste of time since it is a simple edit, (except for the left over string), and probably wont ever see it again since there likely wont be the need because official builds are going to resume regular updates.

I will most likely be finished testing Windows 10 after the next official release since it is going in a direction that I don't like, this is why I probably wont be updating anymore.

Thanks to everyone who tried and used this method!

16. SkOrPn

SkOrPn MDL Senior Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Thanks for all the help you provided, I appreciated it much.