Hacked and need guidance...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cynderlu, Jun 13, 2013.

1. cynderlu

cynderlu MDL Novice

Jun 13, 2013
    #1 cynderlu, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
    Hi, I have been hacked ( my network, I think). Several days ago I turned on my computer and was hearing voices, then a radio was turned on, then a keyboard was being used, I could even hear the coffee cup being set on the table next to the keyboard. Being an inquisitive soul, I listened in on the conversation for a few minutes and went my merry way. It happened again this morning. I know the logical way most people would deal with this-wipe my drive,re-install, change all my passwords, but hey- Im not going to LEARN anything that way! I don't keep anything incriminating on-line, so I'm not worried about that, what I want to do is figure out how to find the source. I am on win7 x64 premium.I have:
    -tried to decipher the event viewer log, and I did find some interesting stuff about changed audit policies and security states, but I'm not sure what to do with the information.
    -I then ran HiJackThis,run as admin wasn't offered
    -I got a pop-up saying "for some reason your system was denied write access to Hosts file"
    - after the scan, i hit "Analyze" and recieved a pop-up saying internet is unavailable, but i am clearly connected...
    I know it's the long way but I would like to solve this manually ( for the learning experience).................If someone could guide me,,, or suggest somewhere to find said guidance.... ( you'd be my hero for a long time..... :)

also-I just joined this here shindig- so if Im in the wrong place, kindly let me know and I'll be happy to move it.....

-

-

2. bootstap

bootstap MDL Member

Mar 25, 2012
    hi,
    Run -> msconfig
    in startup table check if there is a strange entry.

3. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    #3 MrMagic, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
    If you're hearing voices, you need to go see a psychiatrist

I doubt anyone would hack you and then broadcast their mic to you, it would be the other way around so they could hear you if anything

Maybe your PC is picking up interference from a baby monitor next door

Run Malwarebytes,
    Physically disconnect the LAN cable and see if you can still hear it
    Open Task Manager > Resource Monitor > Network > Check down the list of connections and see if you see any bad guys
    Disable everything in MSCONFIG
    Boot into safe mode
    Empty all temp folder
    Reset IE
    Check registry run entries
    Boot into normal mode, run Avast boot time scan
    Run Hitman Pro
    Run Spybot

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Sometimes the fillings in your teeth can pick up radio stations.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's simply true!!:biggrin:

7. locob

locob MDL Member

Jun 2, 2010
    The last computer I worked on that was experiencing random audio had a rootkit.
    Download & run Kaspersky's TDSSKILLER. You just might find a rootkit

8. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    You aren't crazy :) My friend who plays World Of Warcraft had the EXACT same issue a few years ago. Whats strange, was that the voices he heard were little Asian girls giggling. It was like something out of an Asian horror film. He insisted on wiping the install and changing his WOW password, so i can't help with a solution. If i remember correctly, at the time i thought it was a rootkit and something to do with the hosts file, so you are on the right path.

9. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #9 EFA11, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    using any Bluetooth or wireless devices other than maybe WiFi? Disable / remove them and see how it goes. You could be getting some kind of RFI / harmonics from another wireless transceiver. Your speakers themselves, could be acting as a receiver.

10. cynderlu

cynderlu MDL Novice

Jun 13, 2013
    Thanks to all who gave me some direction! No, it wasn't in my head, my room mate heard it also. Perhaps my speakers were acting as a receiver... but my torrents get EXTREMLY slow, or stop while it's happening, leading me to believe they are after my bandwidth? I ran HiJackThis again this morning, and instead of analyze, I hit "fix"... it immediately stopped. If it comes back, then I'm going to go with possible root kit, and go from there. I will report back in a few days and let those of you so kind to direct me how it goes... Thanks again...

11. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Are you wireless?

If yes, and it was interference from a baby monitor or something, then that could be why your torrents speed dropped, anything on the 2.4GHz frequency can interfere with wifi, cordless house phones are a PITA

12. 3sidedcube

3sidedcube MDL Member

Oct 1, 2009
    First and foremost run virus scanner.
    Second head over to sys internals and get yourself these tools - process monitor, process explorer and tcp/ip View.
    you must have some degree of computer skill's to understand on what these tools are showing you.
    If you cannot find the problem with these tool's then I would suggest putting your computer away from the TV.
    just by chance are you using wifi enabled speakers of some sort.If so then the baby monitor might be the case or some other device that uses the 2ghz frequency. in that case ether go wired or change the frequency of the wifi card.< some card's let you do this due to interference.

13. cole31

cole31 MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2013
    sounds like it could be a java virus? i have heard from a friend who is an easytech at staples that there was a java virus telling the victim to commit illegal acts. try turning off java, running hitman pro, emsisoft emergency kit, & tdsskiller.