Hacker trying to get me? Norton Antivirus

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by superdork, Jul 3, 2010.

1. pRo_lama

pRo_lama MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2009
    Nobody !!! ESET is piece of s***. :Flush:

2. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

Well said, sometimes it's just better to disconnect and pull the plug and I feel like that alot.
    I don't know why really I keep installing security programs, you don't actually need these programs at all to be safe on the net.

And I speak to myself when I say I don't use Internet more then half an hour, an hour a day tops (it used to be more, alot more) and most of my time I spend here or at other forums, wikipedia or Google.

Everything is all about common sense, some places you don't just visit.

3. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    If your PC is left connected it is still vulnerable.

Secondly, yes you do, even if your browse secure websites there is still potential for a hacker to take control of your machine. This is especially true with Windows XP and older.
    Not as common with Vista and 7.

Profile sites can even be unwittingly host to viruses spread via flash exploits, bank websites can be hacked and browser exploits harnessed to obtain on-line banking credentials.
    Trojans can be anywhere dude...Hence its good practise to have a decent anti-virus installed to combat potential threats.

I understand what you mean though, but I see it like sex, don't wana get the girl pregnant or receive an STD...so I wear a condom.

4. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    I suggest you consider Comodo for a free solution or Kaspersky for a reasonable priced paid solution.

Both are the only suites that effectively pass leak tests repeatedly - the rest fail miserably with ESET achieving about 4%.

What is a leak test ? - Well that's when a decent firewall detects that some malware on your computer that doesn't get detected by its signature is sending your personal info to some hacker collecting your info such as passwords and other bank stuff etc.

Keyloggers and similar legitimate programs used in legitimate business enterprises easily perform these tasks and often are not detected as malware as they have a legitimate purpose - though I think any employer doing this sucks.

All are pretty good at malware detection through signatures and some behavioural checks so in that area most solutions suffice but it is the area of leak detection that the majority, including the big reputation vendors, FAIL MISERABLY.

I'd rather reinstall the OS because of a virus attack than have some hacker clean out my bank account, file a social security claim in my name or plan a terrorist attack using my credentials to fund it.

Leak prevention is as important as antivirus prevention.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

Yeah I know, but what I mean is that I actually never been exposed for any viruses or threats and have tested several times surfing the net and downloading things without protection and nothing happened (both AV and Firewall confirmed this afterwards when installed), but as you said better safe then sorry though it sometimes feel like the rubber takes away all the feeling.