Happy Birthday Microsoft !

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GHeimnis, Apr 4, 2015.

1. GHeimnis

GHeimnis MDL Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Today is Microsoft's 40th anniversary! :happybday:

I wish good luck for all new (and surely old) projects!

Today, forty years ago, at fourth of April in 1975, Microsoft was founded by Bill Gates and Paul Allen.

I believe, this was the best idea ever, what these two people had - this decision has changed the world!

So I can only say: Thank you, Bill Gates and thank you Paul Allen, good luck and healthiness to you for the next forty years

2. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    I wish them happy birthday while looking at how many companies MS has destroyed.

3. GHeimnis

GHeimnis MDL Member

Jun 18, 2011
    ... but they had to pay a lot of bucks!

4. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    No, they just replicated features of other companies' products where said companies refused to be bought. Then those companies went out of business. A perfect example of this is Netscape Navigator. Now it comes to bite them in the ass as they reinvent explorer because of the atrocious reputation it has.

5. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #5 Skaendo, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    After reading this thread I found something interesting on Wikipedia.

Criticism of Microsoft

Which has this little tidbit of information:

Collaboration with the NSA on internet surveillance
    See also: _NSAKEY

Microsoft was the first company to participate in the PRISM surveillance program, according to leaked NSA documents obtained by The Guardian and The Washington Post in June 2013, and acknowledged by government officials following the leak. The program authorizes the government to secretly access data of non-US citizens hosted by American companies without a warrant. Microsoft has denied the participation in such a program.

In July 2013, The Guardian elaborated that leaked documents show that

• Microsoft helped the NSA to circumvent its encryption to intercept web chats on Outlook.com and gave it unencrypted access to Outlook.com and Hotmail email
    • Microsoft provided the NSA with access to users' data on its cloud storage service SkyDrive
    • After Microsoft bought Skype, the NSA tripled the amount of Skype video calls being collected through Prism
    In a statement, Microsoft said that they "provide customer data only in response to legal processes."

(emphasis added)

So happy birthday you bunch of thieves & spies!

PS: Microsoft has never had an original idea. Case in point:

Eight features Windows 8 borrowed from Linux

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I'm not a close friend of Microsoft, just try to be objective. That said, as we all know any business is an hard fight about Money, Market Shares etc., etc. and sometimes that will result that some are on the lose! That's life and will never change.

On the other hand, Bill Gates hasn't kept everything just for him, as Steve Jobs did with Apple, he although had and still do, spend a lot from his 'income' for the poor. That such results even in maybe better business and higher income, should be seen as kind 'Thank You' for that.
    If an company like Microsoft reached the top, there will be all times envious people, most of the times because they know the're not able to even get a fracture of what such people/companies are getting. That's also simply the nature of people and their life.

Personally, even I not really like to say that, have to admit that Bill Gates and Paul Allen and many others, done an excellent job and deserving what they're earned with no exception. That said: Happy Birthday to Microsoft and it's founders Bill Gates and Paul Allen.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. GHeimnis

GHeimnis MDL Member

Jun 18, 2011
    #7 GHeimnis, Apr 4, 2015
    (OP)
    Perhaps, in some cases (but not in all) I think, that you're right, but I would like to add two remarks:

The most of big companies are doing the same, they had done and in future, they will do this again - Microsoft was not the first of them and surely not the last of them

And the second thing: Today is Microsoft's Birthday - tomorrow , we can discuss about the evil part of Microsoft! :shake:

Added:

This thread should be only a birthday message! Not more and not less!

8. Jazz

Jazz MDL Senior Member

Jun 7, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Wish open source for Windows.... "maybe" :rasta:

9. andy.tay70

andy.tay70 MDL Junior Member

Dec 15, 2013
    40 years old and still has teething problems lol :p

10. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Happy birthday Microsoft.

In keeping with the grand old tradition of gift giving, I'd like to offer a gift to all of the executives at Microsoft.

http://fleetlabs.com/fleet_enemas.php

Enjoy!

:MJ

11. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Happy anniversary!
    M$, without you MDL could never existed in the first place... well maybe. :happybday:

12. moritaka

moritaka MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2015
    Happy Birthday MS! hard work :p

13. sb1370

sb1370 MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2013
    #13 sb1370, Apr 4, 2015
    And Google and other companies don't contribute to NSA? What about your hardware (There are hardware backdoors)?
    About features: It's your problem to close your eyes on their innovations. When something is great why not to add it?

14. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    hm. windows open source? well we almost had it.. http://reactos.org/?multilink=switch until they missed the x64 train..
    and as for hardware backdoors, mb amd is reasonably safe.. but i would not trust my good old iveybridge any futher than i can throw it..
    ;) just have no intention to go back to 80486..

15. Inge

Inge MDL Member

Apr 2, 2008
    But we should not send a cake to our strong bill :g:

[​IMG]

16. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Happy Birthday Microsoft!

17. warlordll

warlordll MDL Member

Apr 25, 2011
    damn i must cover that spy hole they put into my windows when im on the loo :)