Hard Disc Problem

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Hannibal Lecter, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter MDL Senior Member

May 12, 2010
    #1 Hannibal Lecter, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
    Since this morning I get a pop up from Windows, when starting up: Windows detected a hard disk problem.

I have backed up everything on an external HDD drive and now I want to know if this can somehow be repaired, reformatted or whatever, or if I need to buy a new one.

I tested the HDD with: HD Tune 5.00 Hard Disc Utility
    It is a: Seagate ST332041 8AS SCSI Disk 320 GB # 6VM8T10E

Error Scan found no error
    Health Scan found at the „Reallocated Sector Count 2629 sectors which have been replaced“ and gives it the status:
    The Drive has damaged sectors

Where do I go from here? Is there a software I can run, that will answer that question?

When I run the tools in C:\Properties, the error checking.... then this does not find any problem at all....
    But when I do a re-start, up comes the black page again from American Megatrends telling me I have a AHCI Port1 Device Error, and i should press F1 to Resume,
    which will do just that, but then the windows Error pop up comes on again, and so on, and so on....

Thanks

2. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Buy a new disk, when sectors start going bad it is all downhill from there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Yep. You can pretty much make "new disk" a fill-in-the-blank and use any new item going bad.

4. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    I noticed this is an scsi hard drive so it is a bit pricey to replace especially in the 320 gb mdl. . Is it necessary to use enterprise class HD?

5. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    Thank you all three of you.
    It may not be the answer I want to hear, but at least it is straight and clear, so Thank You.

I have never replaced a HDD, but I sure i is not too complicated and I am sure I will manage. I have installed XP several times in the past, and I installed 7 from MDL, first with WAT and then with the DAZ loader. But I do not understand much more than that....

But I have a few more questions: Most important, what do I buy?

Do I have to get the same one to replace it?

If not, what is better, without being state of art expensive?

Is it good to download the latest Win 7 from the MDL repository page, my download must be around two years old?

I will install DAZ Loader, can I download EVERY update from MS once I am online? Or is there still that one that I need to watch out for, I think I remember it ends with 0037, the one that will flag you?

If there is anything else I might need to know, I would appreciate it....

6. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    The scsi HD is on a controller either on mother board or on a card inserted in board. Does the motherboard have sata? Posting the motherboard make and model will help.

7. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    #7 Hannibal Lecter, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
    (OP)
    Mothereboard and Hash Check

Thnak you.
    Here is the info from Speccy

Motherboard
    ManufacturereMachines
    ModelEMCP73VT-PM (CPU 1)
    Chipset VendorNVIDIA
    Chipset ModelGeForce 7050
    Chipset RevisionA2
    Southbridge VendorNVIDIA
    Southbridge ModelnForce 620i
    Southbridge RevisionA2
    System Temperature28 °C
    BIOS
    BrandAMI
    VersionP01-A1
    Date09/14/2009
    Voltage
    CPU CORE1.072 V
    MEMORY CONTROLLER3.040 V
    +3.3V2.128 V
    +5V4.892 V
    +12V11.840 V
    -12V-13.568 V
    +5V HIGH THRESHOLD4.973 V
    CMOS BATTERY 3.232 V
    PCI Data
    Slot PCI-E
    Slot TypePCI-E
    Slot UsageAvailable
    Bus WidthUnknown
    Slot DesignationPCIE16X
    Slot Number0
    Slot PCI-E
    Slot TypePCI-E
    Slot UsageAvailable
    Bus WidthUnknown
    Slot DesignationPCIE1
    Slot Number1
    Slot PCI
    Slot TypePCI
    Slot UsageAvailable
    Bus Width32 bit
    Slot DesignationPCI1
    Slot Number2
    Slot PCI
    Slot TypePCI
    Slot UsageAvailable
    Bus Width32 bit
    Slot DesignationPCI2
    Slot Number3

8. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
  9. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    You will need a sata cable / also the new drive connection will not be like the old if in fact it is an scsi drive. Unless it is sas drive then the same . Open case and see if there is a card installed to which the current drive is connected.

Difference in drive prices has more to do with availability right now because of floods in thailand than anything else although there are feature differences that warrant price differences. Give me a figure that your budget will support and I will reccomend a few of the best drives for the money. For $100.00 you should be able to buy everything you need. What storage capacity bo you need?

10. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010

Looking at the prices I was thinking $100, but that kind of money is no real problem. Basically the 300GB was fine, as I transfer downloaded stuff to an external HDD, but I did think 500.
    There is not too much new stuff and I already got most of the old stuff that I want….

So, I guess I will take the old one to the shop anyway and compare the connection.

I saw in your lists that Samsung Seagates have sometimes three year warranty, and I am quite sure I did not buy this computer more than there years ago. I will have to find the original box and then get my (japanese) wife to make a few phonecalls. Maybe I get lucky, they might have to replace it. (Should I delete everything on the drive with Kill disk in that case?)

But, as I said, paying for a new one is no problem …

Does the model inside my computer usually break down that fast? I have no idea what “usual” means in this case, as this is the first time in my life this is happening.

(This all actually brings me to another question. I only have 2 GB to work with, so no 64bit Win7. Is it complicated to change those parts?
    I thought I wait, I am sure in a few years will need a better computer anyway, so… what do you suggest? I have been happy with the 2GB.)

Thanks again for the time you are taking, I really appreciate you and MDL, best site amongst my bookmarks. :biggrin:

11. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #12 redroad, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
    The retail version of a HD may have a 3 year warranty and in fact the new HD more than likely will, so you should make it fine until your next computer upgrade. The failure of a HD is dependent on so many different variables. The good news is they keep getting better. Not shutting your computer on and off unnecessarily is probably the best preventative measure with HD failure. If you have the funds 2ea. 2GB sticks would give you a notable improvement in performance but it will use more power so it is necessary to get the size of the power supply you are currently running in order to determine if the upgrade is supported. 2ea. 1gb sticks is also an option and uses less power of course. Still consider this upgrade because it is well worth it and relatively easy to change and inexpensive.

12. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    Thanks once more... I am now off to the basement to find the original box and the receipts. For $100 it seems worth the effort.... :)

13. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    on memory upgrade. These are the memory specs on your board I believe

Memory • Single-channel DDR2 memory architecture
    • 2 x 240-pin DDR DIMM socket support up to 8 GB
    • Support DDR2 667/533/400 DDR2 SDRAM

since there are only 2 slots you only have 2 choices either 2ea. 2gb sticks or 2ea. 4gb sticks. I would recommend at least the 2 x 2gb sticks at minimum.

14. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    Its exactly like that....

RAM
    Memory slots
    Total memory slots2
    Used memory slots2
    Free memory slots0
    Memory
    TypeDDR2
    Size2048 MBytes
    Channels #Single
    DRAM Frequency333.4 MHz
    CAS# Latency (CL)5 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD)4 clocks
    RAS# Precharge (tRP)4 clocks
    Cycle Time (tRAS)14 clocks
    Bank Cycle Time (tRC)20 clocks
    Command Rate (CR)2T
    Physical Memory
    Memory Usage50 %
    Total Physical1.75 GB
    Available Physical884 MB
    Total Virtual3.50 GB
    Available Virtual2.34 GB

After calling the shop where I bought it, ACER, and Seagate themselves, they all agree that the warranty is only for one year. So, I will be off shopping on the weekend, if I find the time. I will probably learn how long it takes for a HDD to stop working completely ;-)

15. gabris[LT]

gabris[LT] MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2010
    ~4 weeks ;) in your case it seems that it has been dropped, because it has a lot of bad sectors.

16. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    You have backup so no worries. :)

17. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    about the hard drive, i didnt see where anybody told you about installing it .
    1. its usally ether 4 small screws or a slide lock to "install or remove the hard drive.
    2. you only have 2 cables to attach or remove "a data cable" and "a power cable"
    3. also you may have to check a very little clip on the back. the clip makes the drive ether "slave" master or cable select" it should be on master if its your boot disk!
    4. you also may have to go into your bios and set up your boot sequnce if this is your boot disk!
    if this was already covered sorry i missed it :Flush:

18. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    #19 Hannibal Lecter, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
    (OP)
    I assumed I will figure it out, I already did it once on my notebook. On mechanics I am quiet good.... its electronics I lack...
    I Thought I will then install the Win 7 from repository, which I just downloaded from MDL and burnt on an iso. Should that not boot by itself?
    -----
    later:
    It took about ten minutes to get it out. Is there a point opening it up and looking inside? I read somewhere it can be extremely dusty in there, but I do not know if the writer was making just a joke....

19. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    if you install a new "boot hard drive" make sure you cd-dvd is first boot device in your bios or you wont get any where all you will get is a boot error because the bios is going to try to boot from the first boot device ;)