Hard Disc Problem

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Hannibal Lecter, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter MDL Senior Member

May 12, 2010
    #21 Hannibal Lecter, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
    (OP)

Is there any thing else I need to do, to install before I install the Repository Win 7 iso disc?

I am in my fourth attempt, it never installs completely. The first attempt got the "Completing installation" (but did not)
    Now it already stops at the stage "Expanding Windows files"....

2. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    make sure you have a good "RTM" copy of windows 7 !! not a "WZOR" or other hack copy that somebody created with special "theme's" o_O
    and when the option to format your hard drive comes up i would let it, ive had hard drive's "new" that needed it. ;)

3. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    use MD5 or similar to check hash of download image also, to avoid frustration. If this was already covered or done dis regard. Post back with any questions or results.

4. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    I am used a hash checked copy directly from the MDL repository.
    I have tested it on the old HDD where it installed perfectly....

Formatting the HDD before installation never appeared.not once....

5. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    Its the downloaded version from MDL Repository, hashchecked. I have tried it on the old HDD where it installed without a problem...

6. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Dinner time here. I will get back to you if someone else has not picked up in about an hour.

7. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    #28 Hannibal Lecter, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
    (OP)

You are o_O ??? What about me???

Is there a way to check this? (As there is no OS on it.....)

Can I have broken it?

I am trying another install right now, as someone suggested, I deleted that partitions on the hard drive when I was asked where to install. And then got a popup saying: (very funny, the same popup as with the old broken HDD):
    "This disc may fail soon, unable to install"

I clicked on next.... at present its still installing at 38%

In case you are online, I will edit this post, when I have news....

Same as before... stopped at 42% (it always stops the installation at different stages)

I just tried to install Ubuntu.... also broke off in the middle

8. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    I ran Ubuntu again, this time starting from the disk, instead of installing and get a notice about a hDD fault, I click: test the hardware, and up comes

SMART Status: Disk Failure is imminent (in big fat red letters.....)

So I suppose I will take it out once more and drive back to the shop..... (that will be fun. Contrary to popular belief in Japan hardly anyone speaks even a little very broken english)

9. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Sorry you are having troubles. Please check fans to insure smart failure was not due to excessive heat.
    Post back with any questions or progress.

10. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010

Opened it up, fan is working...

11. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    In bios what are the fan speed selections available? choose highest fan speed for OS install and then change back to default when finished with install as precautionary.

12. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    There are only two possibilities, Smart Fan enabled or disabled, setting is on enabled and CPU Fan Speed is around 1000.

13. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Ok. Your ready for the install. Wish you the best

14. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    Failure is the result of old age of the HDD

I started up that installed Ubuntu, got a HDD warning and ran the test that Ubuntu supplies:

More than 3000 sectors are bad, and I am told, Failure is the result of old age of the HDD.

15. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    I am back from the shop, and they replaced the HDD I bought yesterday for free and ran a diagnostic, saying everything is fine.
    I just run the Seagate diagnostic disc here myself and and it finds no fault, saying Smart has NOT been tripped.

But I am a little skeptical. Having two HDDs with the same fault within 12 hours would be a very strange coincidence... is there anything I can test before installing anything on the new disc, to make reasonably certain, that this one will not end up like the last two??

16. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #39 redroad, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
    You can run a system diagnostics disk which would start on boot.Download the manufacturers ISO if available or other. At this time I have nothing else to recommend to you.

17. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    As unreasonable as it may sound, but the new replacement disc from Seagate I installed yesterday seemed to have "by coincidence" exactly the same problem, as the broken one I originally had in my computer.
    On this third HDD, again a Seagate, Win 7 installed without a hitch, and after installing the loader, Properties says: Activated.

I want to really thank everybody for helping, you did a great job. I am not too good with this sort of stuff, so I needed as much moral as technical support, and I am grateful to you, for both...

Have a nice Sunday.... and be prepared, sooner or later I will f... up again something. :worthy: