hard drive is readable but cannot be formatted

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by fadinzr, Oct 30, 2016.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If the errors' are Hard-Errors', simply get rid of that drive! If those errors' are Soft-Errors', that could be solved!

Even if some Sectors are relocated, didn't do means that those are Hard-Errors'! To find out what kind of errors' those are, a Sector by Sector Low-Level Format has to be done, and LLFMT is the best Software solution for that job. If LLFMT shows damaged Sectors, which it didn't could format, it will be shown on screen in real time. And if LLFMT could not Lock that HDD at the LLFMT command given, the Track ZERO isn't more reachable. Data on that HDD may still could be seen, or even copied or worked with, but a Format of the HDD and maybe also a deletion of that Data will be impossible. In that case, the HDD is really damaged and should be replaced immediately for good!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Once a hard drive shows bad sectors, I just dump it in the trash.

Keeping it is only asking for problems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    There still a lot humans around this world, which need to 'balance' their budget and for them, computer and it's gadgets, come after what they need for a living! For such people, they didn't have much choice as to use to the extent, what they have! Not understandable?!

I just living in such country with a lot poor people and have to deal with that in daily use with our customers.

4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @pisthai: Your point is a valid one. If a soft error can be fixed and money is scarce, then fine. Keep the drive and repair it.
    But remember (and be sure to remind your customers): At a later time, you could be doing something important and the drive may fail again, causing you to lose important work. (Time and money)

In the long run, it may cost less to replace it than to repair it. But that's a gamble you take by simply remapping bad sectors.

In my experience, most clients just buy a new drive. But that's based on America.

And I fully understand and respect the fact that there's a difference in our respective countries. :)

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    As long as Track Zero is without errors', that will work fine. That solution I also use sometimes for poor customers.

Mainly I use our Atola Disc Recycler for 'refreshing' a HDD, because it's a lot faster than the pure software (LLFMT) version. But the Software version is used as well many times, special if we got busy with recycling using the Atola, which has just 4 ports.

6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    How much life can you squeeze out of a drive that already has exceeded it's bad sector count?
    eventually it's going to stop permanently and so will all the data, I do hope your recommending a daily back up with those drives

7. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Not matter the suggestion given here from all technical perspectives that hard drive cannot work for any operating system installation. I would rather he uses it as external storage - which is going to be slow on read and write. It will definitely fail at a point losing all the data stored on it. I would rather say he should get another HDD.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    All of our customers (incl. private people), have to sign a Acknowledge Form in which clearly is stated that a Data Backup has to be done daily, well known, that most those (private) people will shortly forget about it!! And that's how imperfect humans are!!

9. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @MJ as always you is correct my Lady still the OP can try recover your files anyway; and in another hand as Pisthai tell here money also is one big problem unfortunately in overall 12.000.000 person no employed :weep: this is terrible ;)

10. Cheese_in_a_Can

Cheese_in_a_Can MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2016
    Wow, no way I tolerate any drive "hiccup". One error message and it's out of here.

11. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    :eek: Really ?

Well if you have any 6 or 10 TB hiccups, can you toss those my way ?

Thanks in advance. :)

12. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    It is a risk because you can't tell when it will finally give up, and that'll make you lose more important data.

13. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    That is a risk I am willing to accept with my less valuable data.

For example, do you remember the ]hackingteam[ leak ?
    I have that stored on a 6TB drive which was dropped ( and then thrown in a fit of rage, not by me ) and had the data connector shattered.
    ( I am a packrat, What can I say ? :dunno: )
    That data connector was "MacGuyvered" by me and is currently held together literally with super glue, a little sawdust, chewing gum, and a lot of luck.
    I also use it for "tossing files" when reorganizing since while doing that there are always two copies available.

Now if someone wants to toss a drive that size simply because of a "hiccup", I'd be glad to accept it. ;)

Even if the drive is junk, it is still valuable to me for parts, like for example a data connector....
    And neodymium magnets are just cool. :D

14. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    That makes a lot of sense. I have tried to dabble into hard disk drive repair in the storage without success. Like the Neodymium magnet inside most of them - I didn't see so much use for it other than for holding screws from missing or tossing around the desk. It can not fit on the side of the screwdriver to hold screws like the tiny ones found inside Apple products.

15. Ming_the_Merciless

Ming_the_Merciless MDL Member

Feb 7, 2014
    To each his own. For me, there is no "less valuable data". Everything I put on my local drives is expected to remain there reliably, period.

16. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Me too! I expect the same.

BUT... If @Cheese_in_a_Can, or anyone has 500GB or more drives to toss away, point towards me!!! :clap:
    I need HDDs for servicing my windows images.:cool:

17. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Really ? So your pr0n videos rank equally with your operating system and media player files ?

Interesting. ;)

:nono: I asked first. :D

18. Ming_the_Merciless

Ming_the_Merciless MDL Member

Feb 7, 2014

The only p0rn videos I have are: Beneath The Valley Of The Ultra-Vixens - Russ Meyer 1979 and Supervixens (1975) Russ Meyer - and if you've seen them, you know how valuable they are! :)