Hard drive not accessable?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by hartnsol, Feb 6, 2010.

1. hartnsol

hartnsol MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2010
    Hello everyone. I will try and be as descriptive as possible with my problem and sorry if it has already been addressed I ran a quick search and didn't see anything. Here we go...

I was previously running windows xp with 2 sata drives, one for the os the other for storage. Upgraded to windows 7 32 bit. At the time of upgrade i have the storage drive disconnected since my dvd drive needed the sata power connection and i only had two available. I've since installed a power splitter and hooked everything back up only to get an access denied message when trying to access the storage drive. Going through my computer it seems to not even recognize the drives volume. If i go through device manager i can get it to show the amount of space the drive has in use and remaining but still cannot access it.

I have tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it and have also tried changing access and what not through security. Maybe im doing something wrong since im not a computer wiz but when i go through the access options under security it does a run through of my files so i know they are still there.

Anyone had a similar problem or have a solution? I appreciate any help,
    Mike

2. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #2 Rosco, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
    You don't say if it has a drive letter -

So if it does - it may simply be a file ownership issue - try right click->Properties->Security->Advanced->Owner->Edit and try setting it to your username - should work.

If it doesn't have a drive letter then do this:-

Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management.

If it shows as a Healthy Basic partition try Right Click on partition and see if you can change Drive Letter. If you can add a drive letter that should be it - all fine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Veegertx

Veegertx MDL Junior Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Do not convert to Dynamic

Yes make sure it has a drive letter assigned and if it does and still cannot access.
    from a admin cmd prompt
    echo y| cacls "D:\" /T /E /G Administrators:F

May be an odd user assigned in the Security panel by right clicking, that was your old ACL.
    You can then remove the odd user with cacls or icacls

4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    You could also click "my computer", rightclick the drive and choose security. From there you can grant ownership to your current online online account or administrators.
    The old account can then be removed from the list, and the drive will be accessible.

That's the way I'd do it, simply through the GUI.