Hardware troubleshooting

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by pythag0rus, Oct 24, 2009.

1. pythag0rus

pythag0rus MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2009
    Hello ladies and gents,

I am in need of a second opinion.
    So someone brought me a PC, a manufacturer branded PC that is, and when I started it up, well the obvious black screen, computer doesn't boot up.

So now I did the regular troubleshooting.
    It may happen that corrupted ram _may_ hang the boot process, so i tried that.

Removed the ram in the machine, put ram that I knew is functional, put it in either ram slot, no dice.

It happens also that a burnt integrated video card might be the problem.
    Put a PCI videocard that I know is function, no dice.

I went on to the power supply, as this is very common.
    Switch it up with a known working one, no dice.

Now i'm left with the Motherboard and the CPU.
    I am pretty sure that it's the motherboard the problem but I want to be 100% sure.

Is the only way to know is to remove the processor and put it in another machine?
    Is there any quick way to know if the processor is at fault?

Thanks!

2. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Hi,
    Sometimes it really works if you remove the CPU & just put in back in the ZIF socket. Just reseat the processor, somtimes it works like a charm. Also, clear the CMOS, that also works in some cases. If it still doesn't POST, well, then you should most problably get a hammer & sort it out.;)

3. pythag0rus

pythag0rus MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2009
    On which part should I use the hammer on? The CPU or the Motherboard?

Cause my problem is i am wondering if the CPU is burnt. If I know it's not then I know for a fact it's a motherboard problem...

4. ricksy50

ricksy50 MDL Junior Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Do your keyboard lights come on? if they are on it means mboard is detecting components which rules out cpu cos if cpu faulty mboard cannot operate.