Has Anyone Heard Of This??

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Zepp, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Zepp

Zepp MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    My friend is still using XP. I uploaded a MozBackup profile of TBird for her to download. MozBackup creates .pcv files (which are zip files, but with the .pcv extension).

She could not get MozBackup to accept the downloaded .pcv file -- kept giving her an error. Finally she sent me a screen shot and turns out that when she downloaded the .pcv file from my site, XP changed the extension to .zip!!!!

I have never heard of an OS changing a file extension while simply downloading a file! I used XP for many years, and never had this problem. Anyone ever had this happen to them? I told her to see what program is associated with .pcv files... that it sounds like XP's built in unzip program just looked inside the file, saw it was a zip file, and renamed it. But WTF! We spent hours on this, because I never dreamed XP was changing the extension, and could not figure out why MozBackup kept giving her errors!

2. Zepp

Zepp MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    NEVER MIND. It wasn't trusty XP that was the problem.... from Googling I discovered IE does this, something I never would have known because I have never used IE. Why doesn't everyone just use Firefox?!! Or ANYTHING but IE!! argh!!

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Because for some sites to work one still has to use IE

OR because FF x64 does not play flash & I sure do not install 2 FF on same system

Plus probably many other options

And no, it is NOT IE doing it, it is the mime settings of the web server, so you have your server setup wrongly!

sebus

4. Zepp

Zepp MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    That's why you keep a copy of IE installed and use it only when necessary... like for many years you had to use IE to use the MS website, like to download a patch.

For a guru you aren't very informed. MS does not play by the standards and protocols used on the Internet, but makes up its own rules precisely to try to get sites to code according to IT'S needs, so that the site doesn't look good on any other browser, thereby forcing/"encouraging" the public sheep to use IE. To someone who doesn't know better, this makes IE look to be "the only browser that works right" when the exact opposite is true. It is the only browser that DOESN'T work according to the accepted standards and protocols, and this thread is just one example of how bad IE is.

FF 64-bit is a beta. Use FF 32-bit on your 64-bit W7 like everyone does, until the official 4.0 64-bit release. It plays flash just fine. And so will the 64-bit final.

Like not knowing any better?

WRONG. No other browser requires MIME types on the server to download a file without changing the extension. This is a BUG in IE. The server can CATER TO THE BUG and "work around" the poor coding of IE by including MIME types so that lame-a$$ IE will do what every other browser does without requiring that code, but it is not the job of webmasters to cater to Microsoft bugs by having to add extra code to their pages. It is MICROSOFT'S job to code according to standards, and FIX BUGS in their programs. This particular bug was in IE7 (and probably earlier versions too) and is also in IE8. Shows how much MS cares about its users.

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #6 sebus, Sep 29, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
    Man, get a life, instead of jumping way over you heels.

You asked: Why doesn't everyone just use Firefox?!!

So you were given valid reasons, if you do not like them, that is your choice, but they do apply to real life

That's why you keep a copy of IE installed and use it only when necessary = I totally agree, still, it does not change the fact that one (sometimes) must use IE (wherever you like it or not)

You like 32-bit FF on your machine, then keep it, I do not, as I do prefer Namoroka x64

No other browser requires MIME types - tell it to hundreds of users in corporate environment where most use IE, you will last a day in a job!

And thanks for the links to Adobe site with Flash Player "Square" Preview Release

sebus

6. cynarch

cynarch MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Some virus can change file extension. It happened on my computer once few years back. Has your friend scanned her computer with latest antivirus definitions? Maybe she has. However, to make sure that her computer is free of viruses she can scan it using a reliable online virus scanner. She can try Kaspersky Online Scanner. It is free and I think it is good.

Btw, I use IE all my live, as it is compatible with options that Windows and its third party and my other installed programs offered. I can work faster with it and never had problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Zepp

Zepp MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    #9 Zepp, Oct 2, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
    (OP)
    Translation: I don't like that you proved me wrong.

It's not my fault you choose to defend a crap piece of software like IE because you don't know any better, then were wrong on every point you made.

Pffffffth! The number of ppl who use IE have nothing to do with the fact that no other browser requires MIME types on the server to work properly! You could stick the entire universe on IE, and it's STILL a bad piece of software that doesn't follow Internet standards and protocols. Which is exactly why IT admins worth their salt have their networks using Firefox!! To those who want to stick with IE -- enjoy the bugs! Like the renaming of certain files upon download, for one!

8. cynarch

cynarch MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Me defending IE?
    How did you come to this conclusion?

I only use it when I really have to, otherwise run x64 FF

You do not like IE, you made your point... and what else do you want? Recognition for it? A medal?

Maybe you should have asked your friend not to use IE when downloading files from your server (which obviously caters for "all" browsers, but IE...)

sebus

10. Zepp

Zepp MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I am only responding to your inane comments about IE.

My server caters to Internet standards and protocols, like all servers should. I do not add extra coding to compensate for IE bugs, and never will. That is MS's job, to fix their bowser and code it to standards.

And yes, my friend should be using FF. I always encourage her to dump Outhouse, IE and all other non-essential M$ crap she uses. But she is just an Internet acquaintance and like many others, uses the softw that comes default on her computer. Softw that SHOULD be written to conform to Internet standards.