Has anyone migrated their Data HDD drive to a SSD

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by MrG, Dec 24, 2019.

1. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    I bought 2 Samsung EVO SSDs so I can upgrade the Server 2016 with them & get rid of the 2 HDDs I have now in the server storage pool. The OS is on a separate SSD & I'd like to keep it intact, & only migrate the data.

After reading (in the user manual) what the Samsung - Data Migration tool (SDMt) wants to do under Limitations:
    3. This software will run only if the operating system is installed on the Source Disk. It will not function on disks that lack an operating system installation.
    4. On systems with two (2) drives or more (e.g. “C:”, “D:”, and “E:” drives) with the operating system installed on the “C:” drive, only the first two drives will be cloned. The “System” partition that is created during Windows installation is automatically replicated.

I am wondering if anyone else has been able to someway clone their (server) Data drives to SSDs w/ the included SDMt w/o messing w/ the OS.

I have looked at AOMEI server Partition Assistant & that may be what I'll need to use unless someone here has another recommendations.
    I did try the free standard edition & it failed, getting stuck @ 0 & 16%'s on a Win8.1 test.

TIA for any suggestions

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #2 kaljukass, Dec 24, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    If you have an OS on a separate drive and you have 2 HDDs now and you want to replace them with SSDs.
    Why can't you copy from one HDD to an SSD and then from another HDD to an SSD or to another SSD in the normal way?
    Or why should you have to use third party programs? Isn't there possible even command line xcopy to use? Sorry if I'm wrong, have never had server.
    But with normal computer and OS there is no restrictions. Just some month ago I did the same on two computers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    Thank you for the suggestion kaljukass
    I will try that as my 1st option if the Samsung - Data Migration tool wont copy only the partition(s) I want to copy.

4. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    I finally got the WSE2016 updated w/ a 4TB & 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD drives & the old HDDs removed.
    I decided to let WSE2016 do the Storage Spaces work safely using a article from tenforums.

Then backed up the 2 test rigs & 1 main rig, speed not impressive.
    Next I just finished backing up the full WSE2016 box (System & Data) over a USB 3.1 SS Gen2 cable to Samsung T5 SSD, happy to see faster @ 367 MB/s.

* I didn't even try using the Samsung Data Migration app as it appears WSE2016 wants empty drives removed from box & I didn't want to gamble goofing up anything in the system.