has microsoft pulled WAT update?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by madmarx, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    #81 Brainsuck, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    #82 Dolorous Edd, Mar 22, 2010
    Somewhere at MS someone just smacked themselves right on the forehead and said "DOH".

That is some funny s**t Bert. +1 but I wish I could make it +10

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    #83 Brainsuck, Mar 22, 2010
    So far he has given up just edit the dmi pool a little bit so the only way to see a mod is dmi pool lol AMIBCP Tool and it legal to use

4. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    I think you have demonstrated why they have not gone after bios mods yet but you would have to change a lot more than just the bios revision date to totaly fool the system.
    I wonder the EFI standard is going to do to mods and loaders.

5. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #85 Daz, Mar 22, 2010
    I can't see MS ever taking things further than BIOS dates and using SLIC mismatch information.

Carl asks what motherboard you have and then manually searched for the latest available BIOS and went off that date, WAT however can't do that and it would take a long time to build a detailed database to flag anything and MS can't risk allot of false positives due to them messing something up.

The guy on the MS site doesn't appear to work for them, he just appears to be there as an annoyance if anything but he doesn't even realize him pointing things out only aids the modders who will have the last laugh ;)

Personally I think the whole SLIC system is stupid anyway, change your motherboard due to a hardware fault or maybe you just fancy an upgrade? Well you're out of luck, you just lost the activation you paid for in the first place.

6. Gruntled

Gruntled MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2010
    #86 Gruntled, Mar 22, 2010
    Maybe he does realize that Daz, when Bert kept posting his report in a couple of different threads once asking "will I pass" he was pretty much throwing down the gauntlet to the MS staffers and the MVP's. None of them took him up on it though.

7. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    That and it gets pretty damned expensive trying to keep up with software on multiple computers. These days it is almost a neccesity to have atleast one computer for the kids, if not more, in my house there are 9 computers all running windows and office, gets pretty damned expensive. We pretty much build all of them so none of them come with windows with the exception of a laptop or two.

As for what they will do with mods, I think we need to see what the EFI standard will bring. Will they be modable, will it somehow work with windows to defeat loaders?

I do root for MS on one front, I would love to see them shutdown the people that are ripping off unsuspecting consumers with bogus copies or shady shops that are doing the same. I think that the enthusiasts will always find a way to beat them and I think MS is resigned to that.

8. Gruntled

Gruntled MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2010
    You said "you need to stop editing the dmi pool data because you can make it anything you want". LMAO

Bertmace/brainsuck, you are kind of pissing in their faces aren't you?

9. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    #89 Brainsuck, Mar 22, 2010
    A little but all in fun they have spys over here so it our turn lol on a side note I wish someone would do a bios dump of dx 4300-17

10. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #90 Daz, Mar 22, 2010
    @ Dolorous Edd
    I agree, on the software side and upgrading things its expensive.

My main issue with the current setup is as I mentioned above, maybe you bought a PC and want to upgrade the motherboard to get some more ports or support more ram so that you can use/play the latest and greatest software/games. I think if I bought a PC and it contains a pre-installed Windows 7 then I should have a simple way to reactivate it that doesn't ever expire or require me to make phone calls. That's an annoyance and changing over the key isn't a solution, it's a half assed way around a clear problem with the SLIC setup.

When things come to the EFI standard all we can do is speculate but even then someone somewhere will find a way, it's just one big cat and mouse game.

I also agree about people making money off the activation exploits that currently exist, most of these are getting targeted by WAT though due to their static file nature and the fact that they have a SLIC in them that doesn't match up with the system at all for most people.

Anyway, as I originally said things would have to be drastically changed in order for MS to catch out every activation exploit. Will that happen during the Windows 7 lifespan? Not likely but maybe in Windows 8...

@ Brainsuck
    I have noticed they got a few people trolling MDL, it's amusing though :p

11. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    #91 Dolorous Edd, Mar 22, 2010
    Now THAT is funny. I don't think they have released a bios for it and I don't know anyone who has one. Is there any way to view the information from the bios .rom or .bin file? or does it have to be present on a system before you can extract the information?

12. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Well, I will make a prediction, I think grub loaders will in the long run fair better than bios mods in general. I think Rwat will work as long as Hazar has the time and ability to keep it current. As you eluded to, it will take a completely new release of windows to introduce any new software protection platform changes that would significantly impair loaders and such. All someone has to do is install RTM and avoid WATU and service packs and they will never have a problem and thank goodness that windows 7 doesn't need any major fixes, they have allready said the the SP1 will only contain minor changes, basicaly a big rollup patch is what it will be.

13. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    #93 Brainsuck, Mar 22, 2010
    with amibcp.exe it can tell me bios date rom number and dmi pool data without flashing to the machine and you and daz are right win 8 and uefi will make the playing field different ms need to go get the ones selling dvd with the hacks on them because bios mods can be change easy right now not like i'm going to order 1000 foxconn begals anytime soon at $124.00 a pop and sell for half

14. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    #94 Dolorous Edd, Mar 22, 2010
    yep, the genie is out of the bottle for 7 but since it was never anything more than Vista SP3 with a facelift I wouldn't expect it to behave any differently in regards to activation. Windows 8? nother question all together. MS should just consider us extended beta testers and let us play, as long as nobody is selling s**t on ebay............. well, too late for that I guess. BTW I think anyone caught selling anything belonging to someone else weather it is open or close source should be beaten down, stripped naked, tea bagged and tossed of a tall bridge.

15. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
  16. colinzim

colinzim MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2007
    #96 colinzim, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
    The people making the loaders should make them so they DO NOT integerate into a DVD. It's the unknowing "customer" that is getting ripped off. If someone wants Win 7 they can knowingly install a loader and not get duped from some bootleg Win 7 DVD.

17. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Interesting creatures that without care and integrity would create scams or deceitful sales of operating softwares. I myself have tried to be honest through torrents to share and help beginners with curiosity based testing and activating of windows 7 so that they the users can know that their are a few pirate users that share that have good intentions.

18. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I agree to an extent on that one. I however have created an integrated loader but for most pre-cracked iso there is an $OEM$ folder in the ISO or disk, that should kinda be a red flag right there that there is a custom script in it. Just saying.

19. colinzim

colinzim MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2007
    #99 colinzim, Mar 23, 2010
    No wonder m$ would get pissed ..... "MDL beta-testers" are one thing, burning their customers is another !

20. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    #100 NoJuan999, Mar 23, 2010