Having trouble with an older Dell Inspiron

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by justcallmefred, Feb 15, 2010.

1. justcallmefred

justcallmefred MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2010
    My wifey just upgraded to a newer Dell, so I took her older one. I had a ghosted installation of Windows Media edition on it ( no original disks, ghost was done with Nortons ). I tried to run the ghost, took 5 hours for the first disk, second disk I saw the error message that it was corrupted. Then I tried to run a xp pro full disk. I see a message that it's performing a hardware check, then the screen goes blank. I have the utility disks that came with the Dell, ran all the tests and everything looks good there.
    I downloaded Vist Home Basic Dell OEM , burned it, but the drive wouldn't even see it ( not an ISO ).

What are my options? Ideas? Please don't say new laptop....I have problems going on with 2 desktops too. :(

If I posted in the wrong spot , I'm sorry....

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. justcallmefred

Feb 15, 2010
    Originally was going to put my store bought copy of XP on there, but it wouldn't even start the process. When I went to PB I saw the Vist Home Basic Dell OEM, which said in the description that it wouldn't even ask for a validation in a dell....sounds easy.
    Trying to download the OS version from your link, just taking awhile to go through. I'm a little confused about the loader, I have a custom built, older cube.....but I will try the options on screen after loading Win 7.

4. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Just be sure to read through the stickies thoroughly. All you need to know is in there. As far as loaders go Daz's loader is probably going to be your best bet. Easy to use and he offers alot of support for it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. justcallmefred

Feb 15, 2010
    What might cause the Dell to stop right after the message saying it was checking hardware configurations?

I have 2 cube pc's that I reset the bios by pulling chip and battery. On start up they don't recognize a SATA hard drive only IDE. When loading windows it will go a little ways ubtil I get a message saying there are no HD's installed.I have the SATA cables hooked up and power....the HD feels warm after a few minutes. I had the HD loaded with XP on another pc, but after putting it in this one the system configs are way different.I do not want to use IDE HD's because of gaming.