HD video converter for pc

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Ktario, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Ktario

Ktario MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2015
    Is there a free video converter software i can use to convert videos so that it will have HD picture? I've tried a few but it doesnt have the HD look.

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. shoteye04

shoteye04 MDL Junior Member

Oct 17, 2014
    FormatFactory try it.It's free.;)

4. potjevleesch

potjevleesch MDL Addicted

Aug 7, 2010
    I stick to Wondershare which handles far enough format and has a gui that suits noobs

5. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    #5 Kim100, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    You will never upgrade your video from SD to HD, the best you can hope to achieve with one of these converters is to get some where near the original quality. All the one button converters will degrade the quality of the file to some degree. Avidemux with the help of MediaInfo can change a file container and retain file size and quality but nothing will improve the file you have, just look for a better one if your not satisfied with the picture. A conversion tool just allows you to play your film on a difficult device, you can also add/remove subtitles and change the default language but you will never be able to add quality to a poor video file.

The best one click video converter is DVDFab but these days I only use it to add subs and change the default language. Probably the best free converter is Handbrake, I have it on my PC but I don't use it very much.

You will find loads of tutorials online for Avidemux, its worth taking the time to learn as a conversion can take just a few minutes to do once you get it right. The faster the conversion the less compression/degradation is inflicted on the video file.