HDD regenerator vs. Killdisk?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by timesurfer, Mar 21, 2013.

1. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #1 timesurfer, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
    Sometimes a comp won't let me clean install or boot to USB and tried HDD regen trial and without notifiying me of any repairs all of a sudden comp let me boot to USB to clean install.

Question:

What is difference between HDD and killdisk in terms of what fixes being able to boot to drive when can't boot to drive?

Thank you for your time

TS :hug2: MDL helpers

p.s. Does anyone have the link to the free killdisk version to set HDD to all zero's (one pass I think?)

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The difference between HDD Reg and KillDisk is that:
    HDD Regenerator is using to "reset" soft-errors while "degaussing" that single (or all bad) sector to be back in normal condition, regardless of Format and didn't touch data
    KillDisk is write ) (Zero) to any available sector of the HDD and overwriting existing content, which means data are gone!

HDDReg didn't report every bad content but works well in many means. There's an other Apps called Drevitalize which is doing the same as HDDReg and also is Payware!

Using HDD Low Level Format would also work. It deletes all partition and data on Disk. It's available as HDD LLF Tool 4.25, Payware too! This Apps is created for newer types of HDD's.

If someone use any of that Apps, please keep in mind that the use is totally on their own risk! Personally, I use all of them for quite some years now with no problems, regardless what anybody else will claim!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    I agree most times zero out a drive gets rids of problems you may have with it. I am not sure personally about hdd regenerator, as i am not sure its any more better than any zero out software.

I am still not sure hdd regenerator works as advertised.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Zero out an drive is nothing more then just overwrite any single sector! It didn't regenerate Soft Errors, which is not meaning software errors!! For that job HDD Reg , drevitalize and also HDD LLF is there. That software is used by professional recovery services to avoid to open an drive. Most of the common errors are just Soft Errors.

6. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    I understand what your saying, but i am saying from my perspective, i am not sure hdd regenerator does anything. Maybe people working with large amounts of hard disks that have gone down, see a result. But i am talking about maybe 3 drives i have used it on. I am not sure its done anything.

Thats what i was getting at.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    OK, HDD Reg works only if you manually start it. The later Version has just an TRS running which will show the HDD temperature, but work! If you strat the Apps, mean run the hddreg.exe than and only than it will start working, it never runs automatic!

Get it?

8. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Thanks for everybody's replies, as I implied, I used the free HDDregen cause I couldn't boot into media to clean install and it reported no errors and 2 delays. It did not show anything repaired but after it was done scanning I could boot into media to clean install so...

WTF did it do then :suicide:..lol

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  10. tigrr

tigrr MDL Novice

May 16, 2011
    Pay attention to the free software testing and bug fixes HDD - Victoria 4.46b

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I would suggest that you promote only real English Apps and not just half translated from Russian which could be very dangerous! Program AND Documentation must be in English!

12. goro14

goro14 MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2014
    REAL link?

13. goro14

goro14 MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2014
    no need to be rude 'pal'!(thus between qm)

14. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    if you waited until march 27th of this year, you could have scolded him a full year after the post. Good Job lol :D

15. goro14

goro14 MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2014
    ...?......

16. goro14

goro14 MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2014
    THX a lot dude!

:winkiss: