HDD Wiping and DReuse

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by shashikumar bhat, Jan 14, 2012.

1. shashikumar bhat

shashikumar bhat MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2011
    I have to reformat my hard disk, 500 Gb.,due to "error finding your system's active partition". I went through Google and found Easus which wipes and formats. I checked other sites too like killdisk, dban and other sites. One thing struck me is all these sites announce complete wiping to erase data so that you can discard or give it away or resell the same.
    I wish to reuse the same disk. Can I reuse it, without any tension after I wipe? If so, will someone please guide me how?
    Thanks in advance.

2. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    i would use kill disk its free and easy to use, then go to the hard drive's manu website and obtain the free disk diagnose software and run on the drive. that way you can check to see if its 100% ok.

3. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson MDL Junior Member

Jan 30, 2010
    The most simple step is to let Windows install do it for you. I just select my my drive for install, and then select delete partitions. It will then report the drive as unallocated and just tell it to install at this point and it will partiton and format automatically.

You can also go into my computer and right click you disk and tell it to format it, but undo the quick format and it will go through your disk and check each sector and block any sectors found. Then you can reinstall windows when finished. This could take An hour or two depend on the size of drive. I recommend this method. there may be other versions that format better by finding bad sectors better. not sure. But this has always worked for me.

You can do the secure erase which overwrites sectors with 1s and 0s to overwrite any data on the drive so no one can use a disk editor to recover important information. This method can take several hours. I just did a secure erase on my 2TB hard drive and took 5 hours!!!!

Since you are keeping this disk the secure erase method is unwarranted and a waste of time. well, unless you share this computer with someone you may not trust 100%.

Good luck
    -=Mark=-

4. shashikumar bhat

shashikumar bhat MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Thanks again. Is it necessary to format the whole drive to solve my problem? Just formatting and wiping C won't do? I want to reinstall windows again.

5. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Best to reformat to clean drive up, as said above you can do this during installing windows 7