Help: Can't copy files to the root drive..?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Bax!, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Bax!

Bax! MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Hoping someone can help as this is really frustrating me.

Got Win8 Pro Retail genuine installed and have a multi partitioned PC.

I am Administrator, and I have UIC set to its lowest possible setting.

I cannot copy any files to the C: Drive (root)... every time I get an error message and it will not let me do anything with the root.

So, I ran gpedit.msc and did these steps..

1. Run gpedit.msc, navigate and browse to Computer Configuration--Windows Settings--Security Settings--Local Policies--Security Options
    2. Set policy User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators – Elevate without prompting
    3. Set policy User Account Control: Detect application installations and prompt for elevation – Disabled
    4. Set policy User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode – Disabled

OK, now perfect - I have full control of the root drive again... so I was momentarily happy.

But this sparked another major issue with the 'modern apps' (metro)...

All modern/metro apps will now NOT RUN because they want UIC turned on (as in change those settings back I just tweaked).....

As soon as I turn UIC back on.... metro apps work - and I am blocked from my root drive again :wallbash::wallbash:

Can anyone here offer a solution because I am completed STUMPED! :(

Thanks...

2. Pr3acher

Pr3acher MDL Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Hi, try to completly disable UAC, not only lowest mode.

3. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Just make a directory and put the files in there, or change (and potentially mess up) your drive permissions.

4. Bax!

Bax! MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Right clicking on C Drive in Explorer to change ALL file permissions... to give FULL access doesn't even work.

When you try to apply the new settings, it then systematically goes through a list of all the directories and says the new settings wont apply to them as I don't have the right permissions.... faaaark!! :eek::eek:

5. adit123tya

adit123tya MDL Senior Member

Oct 25, 2012
    try sfc /scannow in elevated cmd

6. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #7 Shenj, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
    if you mean you can't copy stuff directly to C:\ from another parition (ie, your Windows 8 is on D:\ for example) you still should have no problems as C:\ directly has no limited premissions by default just sub folders like "Windows", "Program Files" or "User" inside of "Users", you have a permission issue, you might have screwed up to much lol..

First set your UAC Setting back to minimum 1, not the lowest, it's real bother if you set it to 0 actually, it's not working nicely

Next Start a CMD as Admin and input this "secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose" (will restore default permissions for files and stuff)

If you still run into troubles explain your copy/paste scenario in detail, your issue currently doesnt make a lot of sense.

Edit: Or just use the "Refresh" or "Reset" feature in your Windows 8 and report back.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Bax!

Bax! MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    - root drive = C
    - Windows8 is installed to C
    - I cant copy any files to C as it is locked - with the error message as above.
    - Can't put files in any windows folder - error message.

The only thing that will go to the C drive correctly are new programs that need installing.... copy and pasting files is not possible.

thx

8. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Which isn't normal, so do what i posted.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Bax!

Bax! MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I did exactly these steps.... then I REBOOTED.

------------------
    First set your UAC Setting back to minimum 1, not the lowest, it's real bother if you set it to 0 actually, it's not working nicely

Next Start a CMD as Admin and input this "secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose" (will restore default permissions for files and stuff)
    ------------------

The issue is still the same... it is not fixed or improved...

This is crazy :suicide:

10. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    1. Click Start, click Run, type secpol.msc, and then click OK.

2. In the Local Security Policy Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in, expand Local Policies, and then click User Rights Assignment.

3. In the details pane, right-click Replace a process level token.

4. In the Replace a process level token Properties dialog box, click Add User or Group.

5. In the Select Users or Groups dialog box, type the name of the user account, click Check Names to verify the account, and then click OK.

11. Bax!

Bax! MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    ^^^ thx anyway.. but unfortunetly it doesnt work.

I've gone back to Win7. I may revist 8 if MS ever find a solution to this what is a very common problem (according to google)...

Sadly NO posted fix works on my PC.. so its obviously a bug that affects certain machine builds.

Google this for a 1000 or so pages...

Error 0x80070522: A required privilege is not held by the client.

Mmmmmm..... Win7 again... nice :yeahyeah:

12. Rickkins

Rickkins MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I had the exact same prob, with same error msg etc.

Here's what ya do...

1. Open "Run" (Windows + R or in the Metro UI menu), type "regedit" and hit enter.
    2. Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System".
    3. On the right side find "EnableLUA" and change it to from 1 to 0.
    4. Reboot your system and UAC is completely disabled.

13. Bax!

Bax! MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    ^^^ done that - it doesnt work.

yes it lets you copy to root drive... but kills the metro apps... read my first post, this is a two pronged issue - for which it appears ther is no solution.

Theres plenty of suggestions... but none work on my PC.

14. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #15 Shenj, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
    Thats a weird issue.
    Could it be that you have/had Windows 7 on C:\, your Windows 8 was on another patition?

If it's like that.. it could be that it's not Windows 8 issue but that you already screwed around so much on your W7 with permissions and didnt wipe W7 from it. A complete wipe of your C drive could probably get rid of the issue.. i don't know, i never had such a issue happen, not for a root partition because Windows doesnt apply anything by default here.

15. Bax!

Bax! MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Fresh install - clean formatted partition... should have been a straight process, but alas its screwed. As I mentioned earlier, its obviously a major concern for many people judging by the Google posts.. and it has been around since Vista.

Weird... 100% :confused:

16. tinybutstrong

tinybutstrong MDL Junior Member

Sep 11, 2010
  17. Bax!

Bax! MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    No arguments from me on that one!! ;)

18. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #19 Shenj, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  19. Linux4ever

Linux4ever MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2008