Help: Can't copy files to the root drive..?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Bax!, Nov 4, 2012.

1. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    And so can every program you run without having to request admin privileges now. What a great idea! :rolleyes:

2. Linux4ever

Linux4ever MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2008
    No, this is only to put files in the root drive and system folders. This method is only for replacing system files which I highly suggest you don't do unless you know what you are doing with the system files.

3. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Taking Ownership of Folders, Taking it away from TrustedInstaller is a very bad idea and should no be supported by anyone.
    It is important to find the source of the problem, there isnt any more new security in W8 than there was in W7.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Bax!

Bax! MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Every suggestion in this thread I have tried - none of them work.

The problem is now FIXED.

Formatted and reinstalled Win 8 Pro. This time I left internet connection on and used a genuine retail serial.

After it installed, I clicked on some link thing that said something like "trust this PC'... it then sent an email to me with another link I had to click on to verify the PC??

I have no idea if that was the problem.... but this time I did those steps and now I can copy and paste to my C Drive (root) to my hearts content and all Metro apps work perfectly! :D

Thanks everyone for help and suggestions offered throughout this post :bye1:

5. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    That's a feature of SkyDrive, which allows you to Access any file on your PC from the SkyDrive Website on another PC.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #26 Shenj, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  7. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    The question I would ask before messing with this whole business is, "Why do you want to write to the root drive?"

8. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    It's a bit annoying if you want to temp-paste something here and you can't, because all it allows you is create Folders if you have that "bug" which does not seem to be intended because on a proper Install it's not doing this.
    Also the whole bug seems quite weird as it makes pretty much no sense, technically both Green and Red i posted should work the same way (as far as i can see), but they don't.
    Anyway i just posted how to "Restore" the inteded behaviour :)

9. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Is it connected to the way user accounts are set up perhaps? I've never used an online account with Windows 8 (local and domain accounts only), and I haven't encountered the issue on any of my setups.

10. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #30 Shenj, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
    I have both VM's Installed with the same setting, but one is on UEFI(Red) and the other is on BIOS(Green), both use a Local Account which shouldnt matter anyway as these permissions are done on setup.

11. ssszenith

ssszenith MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2011
    nice since i would delete all metro if i could( didnt search for it...yet) i'll just use the gpedit stufff and get rid of this annoyance.