[HELP] Change boot image win10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by PremierePRO, Oct 31, 2016.

1. haz367

haz367 MDL Addicted

Jan 11, 2020
    @KennyP

If the wim file was already mounted, the batch would just move on....

U cannot just remove files from the mnt dir...use dism to unmount.....

run "dism /cleanup-wim"

The "connect smartcard" part is from the signer....it doesn't show this on LTSB, while on LTSC, i also seen that popup...It's nothing....just close it.....

BTW...It didn't work (for me) on either LTSC/2004...while on LTSB...it works fine.

2. KennyP

KennyP MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2016
    #23 KennyP, Nov 15, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    I don't remember the build number, but, early on in Win 10, I do remember changing the boot logo successfully in the Enterprise version and the process I used was as it's explained above, or, the same as the bat file executes in the blogo.zip download.
    Obviously in these newer builds the process no longer works. But, not completely. I believe only the signing of bootres.dll no longer works. For instance, when I did this same process and it worked, I remember that signer64.exe would send up a certificate popup for me to OK. Now it no longer does that. It simply states who wrote it and that it can be freely distributed - that is not enough! The file needs to be signed and it's not signing it.
    If someone could figure out how to force sign bootres.dll after its images are changed, then the changing of the boot logo would again work..

BTW - I tried loading an old image and signing bootress on it, but it no longer worked, which I completely don't understand. How could signing bootres.dll work on it before and not now?

3. haz367

haz367 MDL Addicted

Jan 11, 2020
    Hey @KennyP

The above as u noted,works for me on either LTSC1809/20H2 Pro build. When i sign the bootres.dll using "signer.exe" it gives that certificate popup to import the cert...and on either build,the file is signed as on LTSB

Attached Files:

4. KennyP

KennyP MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2016
    #25 KennyP, Nov 16, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Hi:

Thanks for your replies. I don't understand why signer, or signer64, works on certain builds but not on others. But obviously I still can't get bootres.dll signed on my system as I did previously no matter which OS image I use.
    Assuming my bootres.dll would work if signed elsewhere, would you be willing to please download the file and the logo images I want use and use blogo to sign the file for me? If you would do it, I uploaded my bootres.dll and the logo images I'd like to use onto my website.
    This website won't allow me to post the actual link.

Thanks

5. KennyP

KennyP MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2016
    #27 KennyP, Nov 16, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Thank you so much haz367, but the file can't be downloaded. Only a new tab (about:blank) opens.

6. KennyP

KennyP MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2016
    #29 KennyP, Nov 16, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Again thank you so much haz367. This time the file downloaded and can be extracted.
    I'll let you know if it works.

EDIT: No, unfortunately it did not work. I ran test signing on, but the images still didn't display; only the animated dots displayed on the bottom of the page.

Thank you

7. KennyP

KennyP MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2016
    I assume a newly signed bootres.dll does work on your system?

8. haz367

haz367 MDL Addicted

Jan 11, 2020
    Maybe i'll tr it later once more....It only worked on 1607 on my end.

9. KennyP

KennyP MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2016
    #32 KennyP, Nov 17, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Have you figured out why it works on some builds but not on others?

And BTW, for you, is it the signing of bootres that works on some builds but not on others?

For me, signer64.exe doesn't work on any of the builds I have of different images of win 10.

10. haz367

haz367 MDL Addicted

Jan 11, 2020
    Hi @KennyP

I used the signer on LTSB/LTSC and 20H2 Builds....On all,bootres.dll signed just fine.

The only differents between those builds, is that on LTSC/20H2, it popsup an "import certificate" screen after signing. On all 3 builds the cert is added to the cert store and trusted.

Only on LTSC it trows a "smartcard" thing in ur face?! Also, signing the file on Windows 7 works fine, and adding it to the Windows 10 builds.

It just isn't loading the bootlogo on LTSC/20H2. Also tested manual signing the file....Normally, it's signed SHA256, and the signer does SHA1 (name of signer: sign -- SHA1)

It must be checking something before loading on newer builds?! It just loads into Windows without logo,that's all...

Can't find much about it,other then that (old) tutorial.....Maybe if it's signed another way + some other required files like (winload.exe/bootres.dll.mui) it works?

Updating the PE header checksum didn't work either, or i did things wrong on that part :p or it isn't required for this file, as it wasn't needed for LTSB 1607 build. They change things around so often, it's crazy :p

11. KennyP

KennyP MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2016
    Thanks for the info and your help @haz367. I got so tired of searching for answers on how to do something on win 10 and not be able to follow any directions,
    because each build they've released is different than the previous one and something that is supposed to be there is not.
    I think Win 7 is the best OS MS has made and I switched back to it. Win 10, Good riddance!

12. haz367

haz367 MDL Addicted

Jan 11, 2020
    It's a geat OS, takes a little time though :p Win7 FTW indeed :)

13. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Does anybody actually see boot logo any more? (even with not the most current hardware).
    SSD/NVMe boot is so fast that it feels like from BIOS/Firmware screen next one is Windows logon screen