[HELP] Elitebook 8570W Whitelist modding - A point in the right direction

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by QuantumBug, Jul 13, 2015.

1. QuantumBug

QuantumBug MDL Developer

Mar 7, 2012
    It seems HP are guilty of locking people out from upgrading their WiFi, GPU, etc.

My Elitebook 8570W is only compatible with three graphics cards, a Quadro K1000M, Quadro K2000M (which I own) and a AMD Firepro M4000, but none of these suit my needs anymore. I need to upgrade to a nVidia 800M series or one of the later Quadros but I have no idea where to start.

I mean I own a very expensive laptop and I'm not even allowed to upgrade certain components because HP disallow it. IMHO it's bulls**t and unfair. I desperately need to upgrade my card due to my line of work and I'm definitely not paying another ridiculous amount of cash for a new Laaptop.

As opposed to begging for help I'd rather a BIOS guru would point me in the right direction of modding or editing my BIOS to accept a better GPU. I'm sure it's locked via hardware ID and I'm wondering if my BIOS can be edited to accept a better GPU.

I'd greatly appreciate any tips or help.

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    if its even possible.. RSA locked

3. QuantumBug

QuantumBug MDL Developer

Mar 7, 2012

Yes I read up about this. But thanks for confirming.

I guess I'm going to sell it then.

Never again will I be a repeat customer with HP.

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    yep.. i never considered HP for my own brand... dell or lenovo for me.

5. QuantumBug

QuantumBug MDL Developer

Mar 7, 2012
    See I'm all for workstations. They're solid and durable. I don't mind a bit of weight over toughness.

I'm looking at a Dell workstation now with a K5000M and Quad Core i7, no whitelist on anything. How HP can get away with this is beyond me. Happy to take thousands of pounds but not happy to deliver.