Help finding BIOS for MSI MS-7168 please?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by TassieToo, Dec 4, 2009.

1. TassieToo

TassieToo MDL Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Hmmm! Trying to find a BIOS update so I can mod it! According to Lavalys EVEREST the motherboard is MSI MS-7168 (NEC OEM) and the BIOS is AMI version 080012.

Can anyone give me any info on where to find this please? Google is normally my friend, but not this time!

Thanks. :)

2. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    I see google references to Packard Bell Orion. is it perhaps a Packard Bell? Where did you get the mainboard, is it a custom built pc? or a brand name, what brand?

3. TassieToo

TassieToo MDL Member

Nov 11, 2008
    You may be right and it is a Packard Bell. This has been re-cased though. Any real way to tell please?

4. TassieToo

TassieToo MDL Member

Nov 11, 2008
    #6 TassieToo, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
    (OP)
    Sorry, when running his, it says it needs Win XP to continue. :mad:

EDIT: Tried using XP compatibility, but no luck.

5. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    I extracted the files from the exe with universal extractor, a free program. That gave me among other things an orion.ima file, it is a floppy image. The files can be extracted from it with either isobuster or winimage and the contents put on a bootable floppy, a dos bootable usb stick or a bootable cd, let me know your choice and I can give you instructions, or even upload the files for you... build you an iso for the bootable cd, just let me know which method you want

6. TassieToo

TassieToo MDL Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Thanks heaps. I've got a bootable USB here for that would be fine I guess if you upload what I need. Just let me know how to run it please!!! Or an ISO I can burn is fine as well.

7. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
  8. TassieToo

TassieToo MDL Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Thank you. Really appreciate the help. Dinner time now in New Zealand, but will report back first thing in the morning. Thanks again. Taz :)

9. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    As an alternative, you could backup your current bios with regular ami tools such as amiflash or use the universal bios backup toolit to make the backup, then mod it with the amitool, then flash that back with amiflash....

10. gogu69

gogu69 MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2011
    I have to update my BIOS, but the 2nd link is dead and I haven't got a clu how to flash it.

11. Par

Par MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2010

Hi, TassieToo. Can I humbly request you upload the version you modified? If it’s known to work, I’d be much happier using it than my own modification, which I’m a little nervous about (and this is a favour for a friend, after all). Hope you can help!