Help me configure my cache server

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by soamz, Sep 21, 2015.

1. soamz

soamz MDL Senior Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Hi, Im building a cache server for my network.
    Instead of going with a readymade rack mount server which would cost 4x the price, I decided to assemble it myself.

I dont have much idea about compatiblity, so Im asking it here.

I have selected the products, just please if anyone can check, if I selected anything wrong.
    And then suggest me a rack mount chassis or CPU case may be too.

Screen Shot 2015-09-21 at 11.56.09 pm.png

2. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
  3. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Depends where you are going to store it.

If you have a 19" rack cabinet, plan to add more rack equipment, and want to use as little space as possible, then rack mount may be an option for you.

If your not worried about space, want to upgrade it constantly, water cool it, etc. go for a normal desktop case. You can always put a desktop case in a server rack however not all of them would fit when you lay the case down.

4. soamz

soamz MDL Senior Member

Mar 12, 2011
    I finalized this.
    Just help me understand one thing!
    The power we need is 750W or 1500W per server ???

Screen Shot 2015-10-07 at 8.39.45 AM.png

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Together 1500W per Server! If you'll create 2 servers, it's 3000W! And if you've to pay for the electriciry bill, the monthly cost just for the electricity will be quite high!
    That 2 PSU are for the use of the first: MB and second: for drives (HDD,DVD,BD)

Also, to have secure Server ('s) running, you'll need an reliable UPS as well with at least 2000W or 3600W depend on 1 or 2 Server. In reality it would need either a UPS 3000VA for one Server and/or a UPS 5000VA for two. For security I would run for each server it's own UPS.

All those cost's a lot of momey!! And that cost's will multiply by month (for electricity) and year (for Batteries for the UPS, which should be changed at least every 2 years, better every single year).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. soamz

soamz MDL Senior Member

Mar 12, 2011

So dedicated UPS for each server ???

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you like to be on the sure site: YES!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  9. soamz

soamz MDL Senior Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Which 10kVa UPS do you use ?
    And which diesel generator, that automatically triggers ?

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  11. soamz

soamz MDL Senior Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Ouch!
    Is solar an option if we setup 5kVa off grid solution ?

Those servers have 2 power cords. So,total power consumption of each server is like how much ?

And what UPS would you suggest to keep for the servers, so it atleast keeps them going for 1 hour, until we arrange a generator.

12. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    A server farm made up of laptops would run at least 3 or 4 hours on their batteries.

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    For private use that maybe............ would be works but for corporate use! As long as you didn't mind of data loss etc., etc., fine, just on corporate systems, that is simply stupid!

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If each Server uses 2 PSU's, count 1kW/h for each server, means by 4 servers, 4kW/h, and could be simply more, depend on the PSU's!

A 2.hand Diesel Generator would be more cheap than a high power UPS and even a solar panels with 5kVA. And the splar panels would also need an power converter as well.

I would suggest that you contact your local Electricity Organisation for more and country specific details. Those people normally very helpfully and knowing what they're talking about!

15. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    How big is your network? Four servers for running a cache server seems a tad excessive. :confused:

16. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    If he really has no idea how to put together a corporate server and is asking on an anonymous forum of computer hacks how to do it, then he had better not keep his resume on it. :biggrin:

17. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    We could probably take that as a given. An NVIDIA graphics adapter in a server!!! I would have gone with integrated graphics (you manage servers using remote access anyway) and a good, Intel, managed network adapter. Unless he is doing GPU assisted computing, in which case a desktop OS might work better, or a Quadro card.