Help me solving the non-responsive icons in the right lower corner of Win.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by sid_16, Jun 28, 2018.

1. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Check your chipset and graphics drivers for latest updates.

3. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    The laptop is barely 2 months old and as far as I know all the drivers are properly installed including the intel's HD graphic .So do you think any other thing that is preventing the access of those 4 icons to open?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. i'm not sure if it'll work but try this, mount the windows iso (the version you are running in laptop)and run following in elevated cmd, change the e with mounted drive letter.
    Code:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:e:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

5. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    Hi, I've done this yesterday without the ISO mounting but nothing changed. The system is doing good when I reverted it back to 17th June but after that update thoses icons stopped responding. Again I uninstalled that update but saw no change. What do you think that has caused this issue?

6. pls list all the things you have tried to solve this.

7. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    What is the system specs and what versions of chipset and graphics drivers installed?

8. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    1. Are the ShellExperienceHost.exe and SearchUI.exe services running in the background or not running, are stopped (must run on background)?
    2. Have you recently removed/reinstalled some Windows default apps? If not, then at least Cortana and ShellExperienceHost must be available and must work.
    These are the main features/things that point to the reason of the problem. But if they work, it's more complicated to find the reason.

9. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    This laptop features an Intel Core i3 6th generation processor, Intel HD 520 Graphics, and 4 GB of DDR4 RAM and all the chipsets drivers are installed from the HP site. The operative system is Windows 10 pro 1803.

10. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    I've tried uninstalling the latest windows update KB4284835, sfc/scannow and the CMD code you posted above and restoring the image from 17th June. Only the restoration of image solved the issue for the time being but the windows update KB4284835 automatically installed and started causing the issue again so I disabled/paused it for 35 days until I find a solution to get rid of this issue.

11. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    Yes, I've disabled few app that runs in the background causing a huge bandwidth loss and also uninstalled few unnecessary apps using Windows Powershell seeing the tutorials from the net. Cortana is there and its working.

12. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Then it is clear. That's the reason there.
    Recommendation Uninstall everything (it means all apps) and then restart. After that, reinstall these apps, what you want, but you definitely need to install these two - ShellExperienceHost and Cortana applications, otherways Your things will not work.
    PS, if You have registry backup from days, when everything works, You may try to restore, but it helps rarely.

13. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    In a Command Prompt (Admin) or PowerShell (Admin) window, enter:
    Code:
    echo "Repair non responsive search / taskbar / explorer side-effect ( .i. Microsoft! )"
    taskkill /im explorer.exe /f
    taskkill /im SearchUI.exe /t /f
    taskkill /im WindowsInternal.ComposableShell.Experiences.TextInput.InputApp.exe /t /f
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.SignatureKind -Like "*System*"} | Foreach {write-host $_.InstallLocation; try{ Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -erroraction 'silentlycontinue' }catch{echo err} } <#
    powershell -c "Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.SignatureKind -Like \"*System*\"} | Foreach {write-host $_.InstallLocation; try{ Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register \"$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml\" -erroraction 'silentlycontinue' }catch{echo err} }" &rem #>
    explorer
    echo done

14. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    I believe KB4284848 which updates win 10 version to 17134.137 is even more radical so no point doing any changes/tweaks before applying it as it will revert back everything(as per one report it supposedly basically rewrites system32 folder) you might try now.