Help Needed: Dell PE 2950 / video card

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by mattygoods, Feb 18, 2009.

1. mattygoods

mattygoods MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2009
    Hello all,

Need to know if anyone has any information on installing a video card on a Dell PE 2950? Is it possible and which type of card? Also, will I be able to disable the "onboard" video cards through the BIOS? Any information would be helpful. Thanks

2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    PCIe

The box has three PCI slots: either PCIe riser with three PCI Express slots [one x4 (x8 connector) and two x8] or two PCI-X 64-bit/133MHz and one PCI Express x8 slot.

If you are shooting for high-end, most people agree that you can put a 16x card in an 8x slot without noticeable degradation in performance. However, it is claimed that Dell employs BIOS limitations to prevent just that sort of thing. You can place a 1x card in the 4x slot and gain some improvement over the integrated video.

As you know, integrated video will either yield to a gfx card, or you will have to disable the integrated video via jumpers or the BIOS. You'd have to search that out depending on the mobo/BIOS in the 2950. If BIOS controlled then it might be possible to mod the BIOS to overcome the Dell-imposed limits. (According to the street, Dell so limits the BIOS to force users to have to go with their precision workstations, which do not enjoy gfx card limitations).

Bottom line: if BIOS limits application of high-end card, go low-end (an improvement) or try to mod the BIOS.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. knight_sky

knight_sky MDL Novice

May 30, 2009
    Dell 2950 PCIe - Please Help!

Thanks HMonk.

I've got the same issue as mattygoods where I desperately need to install a PCIe graphics card into a DELL 2950.

I sliced the back of the x8 slot to allow the x16 card to fit - and this seems to work ... to a point!

The computer starts, and gets 95% through the POST - then, when you'd expect the HDD's to begin for the OS to BOOT - Nothing happens. The system locks on a blank black screen.

CTRL/ALT/DEL reboots the machine, and the cycle repeats.

If I try to access the BIOS with the new graphics card inserted - the machie locks at the same point.

I've looked through the BIOS (ver 2.5.0) but there doesn't seem to be much that can be altered relating to graphics or PCI slots.

You wouldn't happen to know anything about the BOIS or Jumper settings?

NOTE: I have tried 3 different cards - all NVidia, but different specs - same results.

Regards,
    Mark

4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Mobo/BIOS

Mark:

It depends on the particular mobo/BIOS used. Look on the mobo and you should see, usually in large letters, the mobo model number; also, during the POST, note which BIOS/version you have. Let me know.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. knight_sky

knight_sky MDL Novice

May 30, 2009
    Mobo / BIOS

Thanks Monk,

Attached are three pics from the mobo. I think the first pic is the model number, and the third pic is from a small sticker on the mobo close to the CPU's.

The BIOS is version 2.5.0

Regards,
    Mark

Attached Files:

6. mo1234

mo1234 MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2010
    #6 mo1234, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
    What is the solution for above i.e. how to use jumper to disable integrated video Or how to change the Bios for Dell Poweredge 2950 III?
    Could someone please post a solution?

Thanks,
    Mohan

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007