Help Needed - New Laptop, No Internet.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ausernamenoonehas, Jan 16, 2016.

1. ausernamenoonehas

ausernamenoonehas MDL Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    #22 SOCRATE_MMXII, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ausernamenoonehas

Aug 2, 2015
    ...:shutup3:...

4. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    #24 Antilope, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    How to make the 3.16 kernel default:

On your Mint Cinnamon menu, go to Administration,
    Update Manager, View, Linux Kernels
    , scroll and highlight linux kernel 3.16.0-38,
    click the "Install the 3.16.0-38 kernel" button - if the button is not showing, make the program full screen.

After the install completes, open a Terminal window and type

sudo update-grub

enter your password and press enter

reboot your computer.

The 3.16 kernel should now be the default.

To delete the defective 3.19 kernel and install new one...

After reboot, go back into the Update Manager, highlight the 3.19 kernel, click on "Remove the 3.19 kernel" button, after program completes, reboot and then go back into the Update Manager, reinstall the 3.19 kernel.

Run sudo update-grub again.

This should install a new version of 3.19 kernel as default.

All of the Linux kernel versions listed in the Update manager have been extensively tested with Mint, so you can safely install any of them and test them. When you go outside the Update manager and install those kernel versions, you are in uncharted territory.

5. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Senior Member

May 5, 2010
    An excellent program for managing boot options, including the default kernel, is Grub Customizer.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:Danielrichter2007/grub-customizer
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install grub-customizer

6. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    @Antilope: I always forget that about Mint. I'm used more "debian-way". :D

7. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    You have to use the "debian-way" if you want a kernel that is not on the Update Manager list. After you add a kernel the "debian-way", then it does appear on the Update Manager list, so it could also be removed from there.

8. ausernamenoonehas

Aug 2, 2015
    I know many of you guys swap and install linux distro's for testing and evaluation, but for me, this is my first and only linux install. I know the inevitable is here and I'll have to reinstall linux mint from scratch in order to hopefully get a complete working system.

Installing linux wasn't real hard, but I did have a couple of dramas along the way. What was hard, being a first time install was getting everything setup how I like it. Custom theme, custom folders, custom icons, custom mouse pointer, Conky working and so on ...

I completely dread having to try and setup everything as it was. Is there a way to do a fresh install of linux mint from liveCD and after its installed, somehow put everything (as far as the above is concerned) back to how it was?

If that is possible it would make things so much easier. I wouldn't fear so much, as having tried out the linux mint liveCD recently, its quite shocking to think I'll have to start from scratch :eek:

I downloaded a program called Timeshift which I've made a backup of my setup. Is this the right program for such a task, or is there a better way to do this, if at all possible?

Cheers :D

9. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    #29 SOCRATE_MMXII, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    Yep, Timeshift or BackInTime is the way to go. There's also mintbackup, but some users are complaining about it.

P.S. I don't care I have to redo everything from scratch, because it's part of the learning process and I must admit I like to trash my linux installations. :D

10. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    #30 Mutoid, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    Instead of taking this thread off-topic , I've started a new one -

" Backing-up Linux systems "

I'd like to hear from MDL Linux users on this subject .... thanks :)