[HELP NEEDED] Restoring default windows size and position after using snap view

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Super User, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Super User

Super User MDL Addicted

Jun 26, 2012
    Hi,
    Windows 8.1 has one very annoying bug: lets say I have one or few windows opened on desktop and desktop is operating in a full screen. After I open a metro app, lets say I snap it to the one side, and snap desktop to other. Then I do this all windows opened on desktop are automatically resized to fit snap view, but after switching back to full screen default size and position of those windows aren't restored. So my question is, maybe someone know how to restore default size and position of those windows? I know that you can resize and drag them manually, but maybe there is other way to do so?

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    There might be an easier way, but I seem to remember all of the folders having some hidden system file ini that describes the window positions and stuff.
    I'm not personally aware of any shortcut keys or anything, but that doesn't mean that there aren't easy ways to do it.
    If you get really frustrated, you could always try deleting those hidden ini files.

3. Super User

Super User MDL Addicted

Jun 26, 2012
    Can you be more specific? I can't find any hidden ini files responsible for window position and stuff.

4. napalmguy

napalmguy MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2012
    #4 napalmguy, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Use this

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags]

paste the code in a text file and rename it to "ResetExplorer.reg"
    merge the reg entries once and restart your PC or reset your explorer.exe (through Task Manager)

5. Super User

Super User MDL Addicted

Jun 26, 2012
    Thanks napalmguy! It worked like a charm :)