Help on simplest path to installing Windows 8.1 Pro Media Center?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Glave, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Glave

Glave MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2010
    Last year when MS was offering upgrade Pro licenses for $40, I bought two, once for my desktop, one for a future laptop. I also did the same with the Media Center Pack upgrade. This gave me four keys, two for the Pro Upgrade, two for the Media Center Pack.

I got my shiny new laptop yesterday, and it's running 8.0 Standard. I figured this is a great opportunity to wipe it out, and clean install with my extra keys, so following this thread (forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/47483-Windows-8-1-WMC-Creation-and-Activation-Guide) I created my 8.1 with WMC key and installed it. Now the dilemma. It won't accept either of my two keys. The $40 8Pro key, or the WMC Pack key.

What is the simplest process with the least amount of upgrade steps to get this right? I really don't want to restore the laptop, upgrade to 8 Pro, upgrade to WMC, and then upgrade to 8.1. There has to be a more straightforward path!

2. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    call MS , activate over phone:bye1:

3. Glave

Glave MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2010
    I can't even enter a key though! They get rejected without even attempting activation.

4. AlexAlba

AlexAlba MDL Addicted

Nov 27, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    my bad, thought you installed it already, follow AlexAlba suggestion:D

6. Glave

Glave MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2010
    Sadly, the amount of time it took to apply the WMC update was longer than it actually took to install 8.1 as a whole.

7. Glave

Glave MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2010
    And now, after installing a bunch of drivers and getting it set up, I noticed that Windows is no longer activated. :jumpon: