Help please, initialized my USB Drive as GPT by mistake

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ian82, Jul 27, 2013.

1. hitendra

hitendra MDL Member

Dec 21, 2007
    I am not sure but I also have the same problem with windows 8. It asked me to format the disk. I have another os on another hard disk W7 and Xp. While I connect that then w7 start scan the disk and after sometime I found the disk as it is.
    Wish and hope it may work also for you.

2. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    well 75% of the data was recovered, ill let u know tomorrow regarding the rest with the 2nd attempt using Active@ Partition Recovery for Windows

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NABAKUMAR

NABAKUMAR MDL Member

Sep 10, 2012
  4. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. NABAKUMAR

NABAKUMAR MDL Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Ok...didn't knew that!! But i guess its easy to do that and many other tasks with the tool.

6. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Crap, Active@ Partition Recovery for Windows finished the scan and it didn't find the first 25% of my data :(

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    No crap! You may damaged the HDD/Data permanently for to use the wrong apps for Partition Recovery after a Format was done! Undelete will never work correctly with that just may damage what's left! You have to use the right tools for a work and not the wrong one!

8. -=ismail=-

-=ismail=- MDL Member

Jul 25, 2013
    #68 -=ismail=-, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
    absolutely correct!

I had similar issue with Windows 8. I haven't choice GPT but i installed normally on my system drive as i install OS.
    On that day i haven't unplugged other drives (i felt bad). Windows 8 installed on my system drive. After startup
    my data drive gone. :eek: I looked at control panel and the drive was named like /?/0sdfa05/sdf/6s21 and explorer asked me to format the disk.
    Windows 8 had overwritten my bootsector on other drive. :mad:

I used recovery tools (as stated above) to recovery all my files. i could recovery all my files.
    Later i used TestDisk to fix partition table. it worked like a charm.

BUT, after one or two days the drive damaged permanently(!) (Head crash)
    I was lucky enough to backup files timely.

Be careful!

9. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    Like they said up there, just before converting make sure to backup everything from the pendrive.

run diskpart, type in list disk, you'll see the gpt disk with the * on the right
    like this:

pendrive in GPT.JPG

type select disk (disk number of your pendrive, mine 2)
    type clean (wipes everything in it)
    type convert mbr
    should end up like this, just did it with mine:
    pendrive in MBR.JPG
    works from 7x64 up to 8.1 9471 without any programs:D

cheers,

10. shawnmos

shawnmos MDL Member

Oct 27, 2007
    I second this! Had a partition table get corrupt before and this program fixed it and I didn't have to go through the trouble of recovering data.