[Help] Switch off all machines in IP range (scheduled task)

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by sebus, Apr 25, 2018.

1. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Of course I can do it by filling the name of the machines

But what I really need is to check that some machines might still be on (they all should be due to policy settings be off or sleeping) & power it off

Anybody knows a nice script that could do it?

That one did not work as expected (anybody could correct me - in fact it shutdown the machine I was running it from!):

Code:
    1..254 | foreach-object { (new-object System.Net.Networkinformation.Ping).Send("10.0.10.$_") } | where-object {$_.Status -eq "success"} | foreach-object { psshutdown -s \\$_ }
    Also checked this, but the output is not easily fed to anything else for processing

2. bear_aussie

bear_aussie MDL Senior Member

Jun 8, 2015
    #2 bear_aussie, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
    a bit late but...

shotgun approach I used in my college days on Win2k
    students used to stampede out of the J-block computer lab and leave them all on
    most were pre-atx so you couldn't just hit the power switch and get controlled shutdowns
    got gold stars from hot Asian teachers for doing this for them :kissin:
    Code:
    for /l %%a in (1,1,254) do (
        start "" /b shutdown.exe /m \\192.168.1.%%a /s /t 0 /f
    )
    first versions called shutdown.exe directly which took forever to timeout if the machine was already off
    so in came start /b to just fire-and-forget
    doing this from memory so syntax may be off

edit - forgot that with at psus then had to go around the lab and hit switches - but everything said "now safe to turn off your computer" by then :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Well, I have machines in 10.0.10.1-10.0.15.254 range