help Windows 8 crashed again

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by treacherous_hawk, Apr 15, 2015.

1. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
  2. treacherous_hawk

treacherous_hawk MDL Junior Member

Mar 9, 2014
    well as it turns out and as i suspected it was issue with RAM, i have one module of 4GB and when i switched it to other port it worked and was able to install Windows. But computer still keeps crashing, if someone could tell me how to determine if it is the module which is faulty or port (both ports in this case?)/

3. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Give more details about the crash. Are all your drivers updated from manufacturer side ? You can launch a mem test from Windows ;

Move the mouse cursor to the right-hand side of the screen and click the Search icon.
    In the Search field, type memory and then click Settings.
    On the left-hand side, click 'Diagnose your computer's memory problems'.

4. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    just did that and in the stage 2 of 2 it shut down.

5. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    If you want us to give you support , you should give more infos :)

6. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    i ran the memory test like you told me and it shutdown on Stage 2 of 2, Stage 1 pass.
    History: Had trouble while resetting pc in past and it would give message preparing automatic repair when powered on. It would sometimes give a bluescreen with larger text something "your pc ran into trouble and would through an error code but before it would throw that on screen computer would restart. I took it to service center as it was under warranty and told them that it could be some hardware issue so be careful and replace if any hardware fault. They simply reinstalled Windows (acer factory image) and gave it, pc ran without any random shutdown or bluescreen (except for minor issues still there). Couple of days back tried to reset windows again and it ran into same trouble as before and would not move any further than preparing automatic repair and bluescreen (randomly). Suspecting it to be RAM issue, i reseated RAM into other slot (have 1 module of 4GB) and installation went fine. Installation finished and was on setup screen and it shutdown again. Reseated RAM and booted to desktop. Tried to install few softwares and Windows updates and currently switched off.
    Edit:can keep it on for a while and check if it shuts down again or bluescreen again.
    Is there anything i can do to check what was that bluescreen related to like some logs or dump file i can check? if so any program to check or what is the procedure?

7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @OP: Write down -exactly- what is displayed in the Blue Screen message and post it here.

What did the service tech say to you about the RAM (memory)? Is it good? How was it tested?

:MJ

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    I think the problem is related to a RAM issue , if the machine is under warranty ask for changing it or try to find another identical RAM and test it. If it's doesnt solve then it must be the CPU or Proc.

9. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    well it was last time, almost a year ago, i had this issue and instead of listening to me, asked me to leave laptop and reinstalled windows and handed it back to me. Now that it has happened now, i figured out that it may be related to RAM (did not take it to service tech this time). Please tell me how to check for the bluescreen from maybe dump or log files as the error codes flashes on screen for less than a second and then computer restarts.
    Edit: @coleoptere2007 it is not in warranty anymore :(

10. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    Finally could see the blue screen error it says c000021a. What is this related to and How to fix this?

11. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    Yesterday after installing Windows 8 i restored image take by drive snapshot. Although i still got bluesreen twice. So now i tried startup repair with bootable usb but it fails saying unable to do it and chkdsk /r also not working in command prompt in advanced options.

12. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    Another update, bluesreen was too much now every one minute or so. Decided to clean install Windows 8 again but while installing laptop shutdown and again getting bluesreen on powering computer it says something driver violation (flashes very quickly)

13. gap-computer

gap-computer MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2015
    [h=1]"blue screen with driver verifier detected violation" check this answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/windows-8-keeps-going-to-a-blue-screen-with-driver/cc859cf7-3cd4-4689-aecb-e83c2e734729[/h]

14. P.J

P.J MDL ☂

Jul 30, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    After all this trouble, somehow managed to format computer again, this time not restoring anything. Restarted and got another bluescreen "boot device inaccessible". Gave up on it as i am out of ideas and not getting any help to understand what could be the problem related to. Seems like some hardware fault but is it motherboard, processor, HDD?

Anyways, was going through all the invoices i have kept and found that it is still under warranty:cool:. Placed request for repair, lets hope they fix it this time.

16. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    #36 RJARRRPCGP, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    Both symptoms sound like an overheating laptop CPU.

Is it an HP? This appears to be typical on an HP, at least on the 2009 Athlon II models. Unfortunately, the same laptop (HP CQ 61) that gave me symptoms like that during April, 2013 and was able to get around the issues with a laptop cooling mat, was found dead like a fly in 2014, LED blinks like a monitor in standby and nothing else except fans and power to the HDD and ODD.

To avoid a death, I recommend you change the thermal paste on the CPU.

For a desktop form factor, I would clean the heatsink and change the thermal paste.

17. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    so the onsite tech again installed the factory image from USB which is Windows 8. I do not want that and want to install Windows 8.1. I deleted all the partitions and tried to install Windows 8.1 but it wont install. Tried 2 bootable USB. I used rufus this time but let the settings be default after choosing ISO. Now i have to reset pc with factory image created for Windows 8 that tech installed. I am not able to install, is it because i have deleted all partitions? Should i have kept any of the partitions? I am attaching image showing all the partitions by default in Acer. Please suggest which partitions to keep. IMG_1927.jpg

18. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    If you deleted all partitions following the tech installation how can you restore these one?:confused:

19. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    #39 treacherous_hawk, Apr 19, 2015
    (OP)
    as i am unable to install 8.1, so i am restoring the windows 8 image. This picture of partitions i took from internet. These would appear once the image restore is done and i would try to install Windows 8.1 again after that.

20. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    #40 coleoptere2007, Apr 19, 2015
    And the tech did not find any problems with ram or CPU?
    If all is ok then how did you burn 8.1 to USB with rufus ? Did you select UEFI boot with it?
    :)